Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Locally stored files on Mac disappear after uploading them to iCloud Drive.

Hello

Has anyone else experienced this issue? I cannot imagine I'm the only person experiencing this.

I purchased 50GB of iCloud Drive storage and proceeded to upload locally stored Mac files to the cloud. After a couple of days/weeks I noticed that there was a gray icon of a cloud with the downward facing arrow in the middle of it beside a lot of my files on my Mac. Apparently, iCloud Drive is uploading my files but deleting the locally stored copy on my Mac. The icon in question is merely a placeholder indicating that my file is not stored in the cloud on not locally.

I've spoken ad nauseam to Apple Support about this, and to be fair they've helped as much as they can, but no one can seem to figure out why iCloud is behaving like this. This is a worrying issue as when I'm offline with no access to internet, there are a lot of my files which I cannot access anymore, albeit I have all my files backed up locally and remotely too.

I've tried upgrading/downgrading OSX to rule that out.

I'm not going in through iCloud.com either to upload them, but merely clicking and dragging from folders on my desktop to the iCloud Drive in Finder.

I've logged out of iCloud and reloaded back in again.

One suggestion I proposed to Apple Support was that if my SDD gets too full, (as it normally does with only 128GB storage and downloading movies all the time), is the operating system/iCloud Drive moving my files in the background to the cloud drive?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Ciaran

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X El Capitan (10.11.3), 13' Retina 2104 128GB

Posted on Feb 13, 2016 6:23 AM

4 replies

Feb 13, 2016 12:51 PM in response to CiaranFarrelly

Check your user Library/Mobile Documents to see if the files are there.

Go to Finder and select your user/home folder. With that Finder window as the front window, either select Finder/View/Show View options or go command - J. When the View options opens, check ’Show Library Folder’. That should make your user library folder visible in your user/home folder. Select Library/Mobile Documents.

Locally stored files on Mac disappear after uploading them to iCloud Drive.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.