Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud Keychain couldn't be set up with valid input

I've been using iCloud Keychain for a while now, but the last year I've been working on a non-apple computer. Therefore it was unnecessary to sync it, so I just ignored when it asked me to verify my account information for it.

So now, I got back to Mac and I want to syncronize my Wi-Fi passwords with my iPhone. I tried setting up iCloud KeyChain (I both know the security code and I have access to my phone), but it fails both on my Mac and iPhone. The data in it is really outdated, so I decided to reset it and create a new KeyChain, but I only found options for that when it's enabled.

What do you think the issue can be? And what can the solution be?

Notes:

- below you can find the error messages I get

- I've been trying to set it up for weeks now, so it's not a server outage. Also from different networks.

- I know the right security code, and I have access to the phone number, so I get the verification code too.

User uploaded file

"iCloud Keychain couldn't be restored because there was a problem communicating with iCloud.

Try restoring iCloud Keychain again." on a Mac

User uploaded file
"Could Not Set Up iCloud Keychain" on an iPhone

Posted on Feb 13, 2016 7:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 28, 2017 10:05 AM

Hello Bálint,

It sounds like you may have tried some, but not all, of the troubleshooting steps for the issue you are having updating or setting up your iCloud Keychain. Take a look at the resource below to address this. I've highlighted some information for you here, but click on the link for complete details.

Get help using iCloud Keychain

If you can't sync iCloud Keychain with other devices

Make sure that your device is on a Wi-Fi or cellular network. If the connection appears strong, try these steps:

1. Turn off iCloud Keychain on all devices.
  2. Turn on iCloud Keychain on the device that has the most up-to-date keychain items.
  3. Turn on iCloud Keychain on your other devices. They will be updated with your new iCloud Keychain.

If you don't have your iCloud Keychain items anymore

If you turned off iCloud Keychain on all your devices, your iCloud Keychain is removed from the cloud. If you chose to delete the keychain items from your devices when you turned off iCloud Keychain, your iCloud Keychain is also removed from those devices.

You'll need to set up iCloud Keychain and add items again. Apple can't recover your iCloud Keychain if you turn off iCloud Keychain on all your devices and choose to delete your iCloud Keychain locally on all your devices.

On OS X, if you used Keychain Access to reset your OS X Keychain, OS X will delete your iCloud Keychain items. Try choosing Keychain Access > Keychain First Aid to verify and repair keychain settings and permissions. If that doesn't help, set up iCloud Keychain again. If you need to reset your OS X Keychain again, temporarily disable iCloud Keychain in iCloud Preferences before resetting your OS X Keychain.

Take care,

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 28, 2017 10:05 AM in response to Bálint.

Hello Bálint,

It sounds like you may have tried some, but not all, of the troubleshooting steps for the issue you are having updating or setting up your iCloud Keychain. Take a look at the resource below to address this. I've highlighted some information for you here, but click on the link for complete details.

Get help using iCloud Keychain

Make sure that your device is on a Wi-Fi or cellular network. If the connection appears strong, try these steps:

2. Turn on iCloud Keychain on the device that has the most up-to-date keychain items.
  3. Turn on iCloud Keychain on your other devices. They will be updated with your new iCloud Keychain.

If you turned off iCloud Keychain on all your devices, your iCloud Keychain is removed from the cloud. If you chose to delete the keychain items from your devices when you turned off iCloud Keychain, your iCloud Keychain is also removed from those devices.

You'll need to set up iCloud Keychain and add items again. Apple can't recover your iCloud Keychain if you turn off iCloud Keychain on all your devices and choose to delete your iCloud Keychain locally on all your devices.

On OS X, if you used Keychain Access to reset your OS X Keychain, OS X will delete your iCloud Keychain items. Try choosing Keychain Access > Keychain First Aid to verify and repair keychain settings and permissions. If that doesn't help, set up iCloud Keychain again. If you need to reset your OS X Keychain again, temporarily disable iCloud Keychain in iCloud Preferences before resetting your OS X Keychain.

Take care,

Mar 28, 2017 10:05 AM in response to Bálint.

Hi Bálint,

When you click the Contact Apple Support link, click Get Started, then choose More, then iCloud. Click Other iCloud Features and you'll see iCloud Keychain questions as a topic. When you talk or chat with an advisor, refer to the article above, "Get help using iCloud Keychain" which is HT203783.

Perhaps they can delve a little further into this issue for you.

Best,

Feb 14, 2016 1:46 PM in response to judysings

Thanks for your fast answer. I checked all those solutions, but...

iCloud Keychain is already turned off on all my devices. Also it is not like "I can't use iCloud Keychain with other devices" as I can't use iCloud Keychain with any of my devices.

iCloud Keychain is not set up anymore.

This is the one I think is the solution here:

If you're asked to validate iCloud Keychain, but didn't set it up on your phone

If you get a message with your validation code for iCloud Keychain, but you didn't set it up on your device, contact Apple Support for help.

But, I am not able to request a call on the Apple Support site in the topic, so writing here sounds like my only chance to get that working once more.

iCloud Keychain couldn't be set up with valid input

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.