Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can the airport time machine be used as a network storage or do i need to add a usb drive?

Im thinking of buying Airport time machine to use as a backup for my macbook pro and macbook air. Can the native storage be configured as a network drive or is it just back up. I see there is a usb port for printer or hard drive - is this where the network drive would be?

if so can I stream say video files to my apple TV box to view on TV?

MacBook Pro

Posted on Feb 13, 2016 8:05 AM

1 reply

Feb 13, 2016 9:01 AM in response to Segynowycz

Can the native storage be configured as a network drive or is it just back up. I see there is a usb port for printer or hard drive - is this where the network drive would be?

You can use the Time Capsule's internal hard drive for file storage in addition to it being used for Time Machine backups. You can also attach a single or multiple (using a USB hub) external USB drives for either purpose as well.

if so can I stream say video files to my apple TV box to view on TV?

Yes, but not via the Time Capsule. At best it could be used as a media storage device since it does not have a built-in media server. If you are really looking for something that does both (storage & media streaming) I would suggest that you look at getting a dedicate NAS device instead. However, of course, a NAS could not provide basic wireless router functionality.

can the airport time machine be used as a network storage or do i need to add a usb drive?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.