Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Error while trying to synchronize Audio & MIDI....

Sample Rate 43,087 recognized.

Check conflict between Logic Pro X and external device.

I have a MacBook Pro from early 2011
2.2 GHz Quad Core with 8GB RAM

I have a fairly new Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 which I was pleased to discover is class compliant so needs no drivers.

All was fine until the last Logic update.

I am now receiving the above error sometimes after only a few seconds of playback.

I get a similar error message in GarageBand.

I have checked that the sample rate in Logic is the same as that set in Audio MIDI setup.

I have emailed Focusrite who suggested trashing various preference files which made no difference.

They then suggested re-installing Logic which will be my next move unless anyone has any other ideas?

MacBook Pro (15-inch Early 2011), OS X El Capitan (10.11.3), Quad Core 8GB Ram

Posted on Feb 13, 2016 7:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 14, 2016 4:17 AM

And has the operating system (OSX) updated as well, Or only Logic? If the operating system changed in any degree you also have look at that. In the past there have been several problems between Logic and the OS which sometimes required an OS update to fix the problem.

That said... make sure you've deleted both these files, but first, shut the computer down and unplug the Focusrite.

Reboot the computer.

Then:

In the Finder, choose Go > Go to Folder from the menu.

Type ~/Library/Preferences in the "Go to the folder" field. (note: type exactly) ----> ~/Library/Preferences

Press the Go button.

Remove the com.apple.logic10.plist file from the Preferences folder. Note that if you have programmed any custom key commands, this will reset them to the defaults. You may wish to export your custom key command as a preset before performing this step. See the Logic Pro User Manual for details on how to do this. If you are having trouble with a control surface in Logic Pro.

then delete the com.apple.logic.pro.cs file from the preferences folder. Note: Be sure and delete both files.

If you're not using any custom key commands don't worry about that part, the preference files will be rebuilt next time Logic starts.

Next, restart the computer (there's a reason for this) let it settle, plug in the Focusrite, wait a minute, start Logic and go to Logic's preferences/audio, set the Input and Output device to the Focusrite, set the I/O Buffer to 256. Go to Settings Synchronization/MIDI Tab and disable any Transmit MIDI clock sync.

You might want to turn off Auto Update in OSX System Preferences, in Ideal conditions the operating system should not be updated with a USB or Firewire device plugged in.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 14, 2016 4:17 AM in response to Colin from Basildon UK

And has the operating system (OSX) updated as well, Or only Logic? If the operating system changed in any degree you also have look at that. In the past there have been several problems between Logic and the OS which sometimes required an OS update to fix the problem.

That said... make sure you've deleted both these files, but first, shut the computer down and unplug the Focusrite.

Reboot the computer.

Then:

In the Finder, choose Go > Go to Folder from the menu.

Type ~/Library/Preferences in the "Go to the folder" field. (note: type exactly) ----> ~/Library/Preferences

Press the Go button.

Remove the com.apple.logic10.plist file from the Preferences folder. Note that if you have programmed any custom key commands, this will reset them to the defaults. You may wish to export your custom key command as a preset before performing this step. See the Logic Pro User Manual for details on how to do this. If you are having trouble with a control surface in Logic Pro.

then delete the com.apple.logic.pro.cs file from the preferences folder. Note: Be sure and delete both files.

If you're not using any custom key commands don't worry about that part, the preference files will be rebuilt next time Logic starts.

Next, restart the computer (there's a reason for this) let it settle, plug in the Focusrite, wait a minute, start Logic and go to Logic's preferences/audio, set the Input and Output device to the Focusrite, set the I/O Buffer to 256. Go to Settings Synchronization/MIDI Tab and disable any Transmit MIDI clock sync.

You might want to turn off Auto Update in OSX System Preferences, in Ideal conditions the operating system should not be updated with a USB or Firewire device plugged in.

Feb 14, 2016 4:43 AM in response to Pancenter

Success, thank you so much!

I always keep my OS up to date as I have been led to believe that not doing so could leave my Mac vunerable as the updates include security patches.

As Logic is not only an Apple product but a professional application one would assume that it had been thourougly tested?

Thank you again, I will pass on your solution to Focusrite and proced with caution when it comes to future updates.

Best Regards,

Colin.

Feb 15, 2016 7:33 AM in response to Colin from Basildon UK

Colin from Basildon UK wrote:

Success, thank you so much!

As Logic is not only an Apple product but a professional application one would assume that it had been thourougly tested?

Thank you again, I will pass on your solution to Focusrite and proced with caution when it comes to future updates.

Best Regards,

Colin.

Colin, if Logic is tested it's not by very many people, there have been some horrendous problems after Logic and/or operating system updates. Users like you, myself and everyone else are now the beta testers. Best to check on this board and possibly with Focusrite when OSX or Logic is updated, just to be safe. Also, be sure and unplug the Focusrite when doing an OS update.

Glad to hear it's working.

Feb 21, 2016 4:44 AM in response to Pancenter

Spoke to soon!

All was fine for a while but now getting the same sample rate error even during playback.

When I unplug the Focusrite, playback using built in audio is fine, but obviously I can't record.

The error message does specifically mention a conflict between Logic & external device.

I friend suggested reverting back to, Yosemite which seems a bit extreme but I am running out of ideas.

Any more suggestions would be appreciated.

User uploaded file

Feb 21, 2016 11:51 PM in response to Colin from Basildon UK

Hi Colin. I just can't imagine how you got to this 43,807 sample rate, but according to the website, it is not one of the supported ones for the Scarlet 2i2 and I have to wonder what happened to get this. The rate you are looking for (I guess) is 44.1KHz or more simply 44,100. There is no "drop frame" sample rate. It is no wonder that Logic is puzzled. If your Scarlet is outputting this sample rate, then it is probably broken or perhaps has an incompatible power supply.

Good Luck

Rick

Feb 22, 2016 12:56 AM in response to rickyackel

Actually this error has been more common than you might think, it goes back to at least version 3.0 years before Apple purchased Logic from eMagic. It usually has to do with Logic losing sync connection with the audio interface driver. In a DAW, the MIDI sync is taken off the audio sample rate, if for some reason Logic loses sync with audio this is one of the errors that can pop up.

I would contact Focusrite and see if they have any advice regarding the 2i2 and the latestLogic update.

http://us.focusrite.com/downloads?product=Scarlett+2i2

https://global.focusrite.com/answerbase/using-a-scarlett-interface-on-osx-109-ma vericks

Read both of the above, there's a link to contact Focusrite in one of them.

Feb 22, 2016 3:38 AM in response to Pancenter

Thank you Pancenter but Focusrite was my first port of call.

I have listed below the suggestions provided by two different Focusrite Tech Support people.
The first one worked, the second I have not followed as Logic works fine with the built in output.

Is it possible that the Interface itself has become faulty?
As it is still under warranty I am tempted to take it back to the shop.

1st suggestion:

This error could be the result of some corrupt preference files. To reset your preference files please go to Mac HD > Library > Preferences > Audio and delete both files.

Then go to Finder > Go > Hold Alt + click Library > Preferences and delete com.apple.audiomidisetup.plist

Now empty your trash folder.

Please also repair disk permissions from Applications > Utilities > Disk Utility > select HD and run First Aid.

Now restart your computer. Does this solve your problem?

If not, please can you open Audio MIDI Setup (Applications > Utilities > Audio MIDI Setup) and ensure your desired sample rate is set here as well as in your Logic preferences?

2nd suggestion:

The error that you're seeing in Logic is one that I've seen before, it may be worth simply removing and reinstalling Logic to see if that fixes the issue - is that something you'd be able to try?

You can fully remove Logic by following the manual steps in this guide: http://www.uninstallmacapp.com/logic-pro-x-removal.html

Feb 22, 2016 10:26 AM in response to Colin from Basildon UK

Colin,

Create a New User account (you can delete is later if this doesn't work)

Reboot, sign on to the New user account, do you still have the same problem?

Note: this problem can also be caused by a plug-in not fully compliant with the latest OSX.

It's possible the hardware is at fault but as I mentioned, the latest Logic and OS combination have caused other problems.

Feb 25, 2016 11:48 AM in response to Pancenter

Hi Pancenter,

I gave it a go but I'm still getting the same sample rate error.

I received another suggestion from Focusrite which I will paste below but that didn't work either. 😕

many thanks anyway.

Colin.

Hi Colin,

Thanks for your email.

I would suggest re-running through the following steps, as well as re-deleting the Logic preference file that you tried previously, but doing all of this in one session:

Please can you navigate to:

Mac HD -> System -> Library -> Extensions -> Delete FocusriteUSB2Audio.kext, FocusriteUSBAudio.kext & NovationUSBAudio.kext if they are present.

Once done, please navigate to:

Finder -> Go Menu (top of screen) -> hold 'ALT' on keyboard -> select newly appeared 'Library' option -> Preferences -> delete com.apple.audio.audiomidisetup.plist

Once done, navigate to:

Mac HD -> Library -> Preferences -> Audio -> delete both files.

Then delete com.apple.logic10.plist as discussed.

Please then empty your trash and restart your computer. One restarted, please try disabling processes such as Airplay and Bluetooth, please also temporarily disable your Wifi/Internet whilst we test this.

Before you try running Logic, connect the 2i2 and see if you can stream clean audio from sources such as iTunes/Spotify/Youtube etc. If the audio is consistently clean here, please run Logic and see how a session sounds.

Please let me know how you get on

Best regards

--

Simon Poulton // Focusrite Technical Support

Error while trying to synchronize Audio & MIDI....

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.