Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to give feedback to Apple Support Communities

I had a post removed by Apple Support for this reason:

We've removed your post "Why doesn't Apple allow an iPhone to do WiFi scanning?" because it contained either product feedback or feature requests.

The Apple Support Communities Use Agreement here: Apple Support Communities Use Agreement

Says under item 2. Submissions:

3. Post constructive comments and questions. Unless otherwise noted, your Submission should either be a technical support question or a technical support answer. Constructive feedback about product features is welcome as well.

So I am confused. It appears that Apple is not following its own policy. The policy says feedback about product features is "welcome", but my post was removed because it discussed product features.

Who do I ask about this?

Thanks.

- Winston

iPhone 5, iOS 9.2.1

Posted on Feb 13, 2016 9:03 AM

29 replies

Feb 13, 2016 9:24 AM in response to IdrisSeabright

You may be right, but that's not what the email from Apple said. And I think looking at it that way lost the point of the question. And I also think it was driven by other users who wanted to be "legalistic" instead of helpful.

If I am going to participate here I'd like to make sure I understand what Apple means. I have a huge problems with organizations that say one thing and do another.

I really like helping people, and after doing that post offered suggestions on several threads, some of which appeared to have been useful. But I won't continue that if I'm not wanted.

Best,

- Winston

Feb 13, 2016 9:32 AM in response to WinstonE

WinstonE wrote:

Why don't you try reporting the other thread? I bet Apple will pull it too.

What makes you think I'd want to do that? All I've tried to be to you is helpful.

Everyone who stays around here very long gets post edited, or removed, sometimes entire threads. I recently had a couple of posts edited. I don't believe there was anything wrong with what I said but the Host thought otherwise. Oh, well. They're very nice people who are trying to maintain order in one of the busiest forums of its type in the world.

Feb 13, 2016 9:40 AM in response to WinstonE

Thread removal is a "tool" in the forum management console

It likely has a "menu" of reasons to choose from (as does the 'reporting' feature for you and others Level 2 and above)

That 'choice' of menu item auto-populates the content of the email with the pre-determined (canned) phrase (to which you refer) in the first paragraph regarding the offense

Sometimes, I have found that the "choice" made by the Host doing the deed has NOTHING to do with the content of my post... thus, I assume that they 'missed the mark' when choosing the line item from the list

Sometimes, there has been NO ToU violation - it seems that merely reporting by some user triggered a blind action by the Host 'taking the call'

I have come to merely accept these acts as they normally would amount to "making a mountain out of a molehill" - much like this thread is

Feb 13, 2016 9:49 AM in response to WinstonE

WinstonE wrote:

Sorry, I didn't meant it the way it must have sounded. Yes, you have been very kind and helpful. Thank you. I meant the suggestion that you report that thread as an experiment - I can't report my own posts.

No worries! 🙂

And, I think that thread has value. I'm not clear if it's a different thread than what I originally saw from you or just heavily redacted. I believe it's a new thread. It manages to avoid the problems with the original and does give some good feedback.

Feb 16, 2016 9:32 AM in response to WinstonE

At the end of the day, Apple owns this site and administers it; they can therefore make any rules they want and, according to the last sentence in the ToU:

Apple reserves the right to delete any Submission, or take action against any account, at any time, for any reason.

Generally, the hosts are extremely fair and do not remove/edit anything unless they deem it necessary - whether any user agrees with them or not. I've reported posts or links which I thought were definitely in violation, but they were not removed; since they own the site, there is no way for me to argue with them.

As well, we are not allowed to speculate, so really, we need to accept their reasoning or explanations if there are any. If you do have a particular problem or question or think a mistake was made, we cannot help as we are not Apple employees; however, if you will look in the ToU, there is an email address listed for the hosts, so that would be the best and most direct way to contact them.

Feb 13, 2016 10:40 AM in response to WinstonE

WinstonE wrote:

Your post was helpful, but the final line dig was not very nice: ""making a mountain out of a molehill" - much like this thread is".

Probably a good way to turn off anyone relatively new to the forum.

Regards,

- Winston

It was not my intention to single YOU out... we are all piling up the soil, it seems. I apologize for even writing it.

As the ToU says and our good friend reminds us - it's Apple Ball Field and their Ball & Bat + their rules:

babowa Feb 13, 2016 11:54 AM
in response to WinstonE

At the end of the day, Apple owns this site and administers it; they can therefore make any rules they want and, according to the last sentence in the ToU:

Apple reserves the right to delete any Submission, or take action against any account, at any time, for any reason.

Feb 13, 2016 11:03 AM in response to WinstonE

WinstonE wrote:

I realize this is Apple's game. But if I don't fully understand the rules, I will waste my time here. That ends up being discouraging, and I don't think ultimately helps me, Apple, or anyone else.

Please understand that I'm not trying to belittle your concerns. However, if you decide to participate here, do the best you can. As long as you're reasonably polite, give answers that are based on your knowledge and experience and ask technical support questions that are within the realm of what other people like yourself could possibly answer, you'll do fine. You'll have a few things removed along the way but probably not many.

As I mentioned above, everyone who's been here for a while has had things deleted or edited. Any of us who've been around for a long time have (for the most part) learned to just let it roll off our backs and go on to the next question. Sometimes, it makes prefect sense why something was removed or edited, sometimes it makes no sense to me. And, other times, I completely disagree with the decision. But, I don't find my time wasted even if some of what I've posted has gotten deleted.

Best of luck.

How to give feedback to Apple Support Communities

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.