Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 6 screen blank but phone on. Screen is confirmed good on another phone

So a friend gave me her iphone 6 to see if I can repair it. Originally, the screen had been broken/smashed, and was replaced (out of warranty repair by unauthorised repair service). The phone worked but went blank soon after. The screen assembly was then taken out and put into another phone and was working fine. I have checked and cannot see any damage to the connecting pins on the board for he screen so in the process of downloading an update for the software to try that.

Is there a way to allow access to the computer and iphone without having a working screen to slide? I did manage to restart it in recovery/download mode which prompted the update to start downloading but it reverted back to asking for access after a while - update download is still in progress by the way.

Also, I have done a LOT of reading about this, is apple offering free repairs at all for this widely "known issue" with the iPhone 6? and possible other models?

iPhone 6

Posted on Feb 13, 2016 8:32 AM

4 replies

Feb 13, 2016 9:23 AM in response to kjmck1

kjmck1 wrote:

So a friend gave me her iphone 6 to see if I can repair it. Originally, the screen had been broken/smashed, and was replaced (out of warranty repair by unauthorised repair service). The phone worked but went blank soon after. The screen assembly was then taken out and put into another phone and was working fine. I have checked and cannot see any damage to the connecting pins on the board for he screen so in the process of downloading an update for the software to try that.

Is there a way to allow access to the computer and iphone without having a working screen to slide? I did manage to restart it in recovery/download mode which prompted the update to start downloading but it reverted back to asking for access after a while - update download is still in progress by the way.

Also, I have done a LOT of reading about this, is apple offering free repairs at all for this widely "known issue" with the iPhone 6? and possible other models?

Since unauthorized third-party service voids all Apple-based service & support options, your question exceeds the bounds of this forum. I recommend you seek an answer elsewhere.

Feb 13, 2016 12:45 PM in response to kjmck1

I don't see why you can't ask any question about an Apple product here. This is a forum for helping people with Apple device problems.

I do a heck of a lot of repair of iPhones. From your description---DIY screen change attempt on an iPhone 6, with a backlight issue---the most likely problem is "long screw damage" If you don't keep track of your screws when installing the new screen, and you accidentally put the "long screw" from the top right screw bracket into the bottom left meant for a shorter screw, you will jam that screw into the board and tear traces under the bracket required for the image lines resulting in a phone that will turn on but show no display. Fixing this is massively difficult, but it is possible with microsoldering to repair the torn traces. You'll have to hunt down the specialized mail in places that can do this.

The alternative is more straightforward backlight problem, (again, a microsoldering repair) but this is less common than long screw damage from your history.

Feb 13, 2016 12:45 PM in response to love repair

Thank you love repair!! This is exactly the answer I was looking for. As I mentioned before, I can't confirm whether the fault was due to a screw being put in the wrong place or not as it was not me who did the original repair (I learned to organise my screws years ago on laptops and the habit sticks, even when they are all the same!) but it does sound like your description is the most likely. I do have the equipment for micro -soldering but have only just got it and was going to learn. Probably not best time to start but might take a stab at it and see how it goes, worst case is I have to get them a new screen.

Thanks again, it's people like you who are the life force of forums! 🙂

iPhone 6 screen blank but phone on. Screen is confirmed good on another phone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.