Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

dual boot

I have a 2008 imac running OS 10.6.8. I love it. I need some apps that need yosemite, as Capture One Pro.

I have read it is possible to dual boot, that is use yosemite from an external hard drive, do mystuff, then switch back to 10.6.8.

Will this work? Or, if I boot yosemite from the external hard drive, will it "do something" to my computer (I don't know... reprogram my graphic card so it will only work with yosemite, whatever).

Thanks, Chris

Posted on Feb 13, 2016 9:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 13, 2016 11:45 AM

Yes, it’ll work.

(139486)

4 replies

Feb 13, 2016 11:45 AM in response to theoboe-player

Although 2 Gigs of RAM is the minimum required for El Capitan, 4 Gigs or more would be preferable. 6 Gigs is the maximum for an Early 2008 iMac.

It helps to provide as much information about your Mac as possible, i.e., amount of RAM.

As Bob has pointed out, as of the introduction of El Capitan, last September, Yosemite is no longer available.

Note: Snow Leopard's Startup Disk in System Preferences won't be able to select the El Capitan startup drive properly. So, to boot from Snow Leopard to El Capitan, you will need to do it by holding down the Option when starting/restarting your Mac.

dual boot

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.