Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When already connected to wifi, why does my phone keep searching for networks?

My phone is connected to a wifi network. When I go to settings, the "searching" wheel comes on and off every ten seconds or so; as if it is still searching for other networks. Is this normal? Does it use up battery life? If it can be shut off, how do you do that? T

iPhone 5s

Posted on Feb 13, 2016 10:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 13, 2016 10:36 AM

Also, the phone uses the cellular connection to make calls and send and receive SMSs even when it's contact to WiFi.

4 replies

Feb 14, 2016 8:18 AM in response to enwiggen

enwiggen wrote:

My phone is connected to a wifi network. When I go to settings, the "searching" wheel comes on and off every ten seconds or so; as if it is still searching for other networks. Is this normal? Does it use up battery life? If it can be shut off, how do you do that? T

It's searching for other networks because you went into Settings>WiFi... it assumes you're looking for a network. Just like when you go into the bluetooth settings, it will start searching for discoverable bluetooth devices.

It's like the light in the fridge... it goes out when you shut the door... In other words, when you close Settings or back out to the top level menu, it stops doing that.

Feb 13, 2016 6:38 PM in response to enwiggen

enwiggen wrote:

First, it doesn't use battery life. Searching for a network is a receive function, and uses virtually no power. And, unless you turn off all location services, it's on all the time because it uses the location of known WiFi networks to improve GPS accuracy.

There are three times that WiFi searches for a network to connect to (as opposed to its augmented GPS function), which was your real question:

• If you don't have a WiFi connection and an app attempts to exchange data it will check to see if a known network is available, and connect automatically if one is
  • If you don't have a WiFi connection and an app attempts to exchange data and you have Ask to Join Networks turned on it will display a list of available networks
  • You go to Settings/WiFi. (your original question) It will do this even if you are connected to a network currently, because it assumes you are looking for a better network. If you were happy with your current network you wouldn't go to Settings/WiFi.

When already connected to wifi, why does my phone keep searching for networks?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.