Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone headphone problem, sound drops when turning jack

Hi

I have an iPhone 5 and a pair of Sennheiser Urbanite headphones. They used to work fine, but recently the connection has gone bad. I haven't been able to find anyone on the internet with this exact problem.

The slightest movement of the cable will make cracking noises and the sound will drop out and in. Also, the volume will jump up or down every time this happens. The weird thing is, that the headphones work perfectly with other devices, and that the iPhone works perfectly with other headphones. Somehow these two won't work together. I tried cleaning the jack output of the phone several times using cotton swabs and alcohol, but the problem persists.

Ideas would be appreciated!

iPhone 5, iOS 9.2.1

Posted on Feb 13, 2016 10:45 AM

2 replies

Aug 27, 2017 10:01 PM in response to Ulrik Hvid

I'm experiencing the same issue with my 6s Plus. To confuse matters even more, I plugged the headphones into my Macbook Pro and they work fine with no drop out, so it's not the cable. This is not a headphone that "might or might not" fit an iPhone, it's a model made specifically for the iPhone and iOS. It's both Sennheiser & Apple/iOS branded.

This is not your typical bad wire or wrong headphone issue. There's something else afoot and I'm not clear what it is yet. I canceled a return authorization with Sennheiser when I found out the headphones work without problems on my 2013 MBP.

They are great sounding headphones.

Feb 15, 2016 11:19 AM in response to Ulrik Hvid

If the plug of the headphones do not fit exactly into the headphone port, you'll get the problems you described. I'm afraid, the only solution to that would be using different headphones, some brands seem to have this problem if it comes to connecting them to an iPhone, sorry.

Did you try to put an extension cord between the two devices?

iPhone headphone problem, sound drops when turning jack

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.