Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Retrieve deleted messages? I'm desperate.

Hey everybody,

I'm working with an iPhone 5c that's running on iOS 9.2, and my laptop is a Windows computer.

I turned off my phone yesterday and when I turned it back on, all my messages had been cleared. I don't have it set to any settings to automatically delete, so I have no idea why this happened. What's important though is that I need to get these messages back. I've tried a spotlight search to pull up the messages and they exist in Spotlight, but can't be located anywhere else. I don't have my messages backed up to iCloud either :/

I've also tried Wondershare's Dr.Fone program to retrieve my messages, and it was able to get back all the attachments from the deleted messages, but not the actual texts.

Anything helps, I'm desperate. I've read about some ways to re-index my messages from spotlight but I'm not sure if that's the right solution.

Thank you so much.

iPhone 5c, iOS 9.2

iPhone 5c, iOS 9.2

Posted on Feb 13, 2016 10:38 AM

2 replies

Feb 13, 2016 10:41 AM in response to pdstudios

Are you referring to iMessages, SMS, or email messages? You mention no iCloud, are you backing your device up to iTunes? Do you have a backup of the device with iTunes? If you have no backup of the device with the messages on there, if they are iMessages or SMS, then they are lost. If email, you should be able to retrieve them from your email account, either computer based or web based.

Feb 13, 2016 10:46 AM in response to pdstudios

Have you tried signing out of Messages and then back in? Go to Settings>Messages>Send & Receive, and click on your Apple ID to sign out.

Also, make sure your Messages app is fully closed by double-tapping the Home key and swiping up on the Messages thumbnail to close it.

You can also try resetting your device: Holdi down the Home and Power buttons at the same time and continue to hold them both down until the Apple appears (up to 30 seconds - no kidding). Once the Slide to Unlock screen displays, see if your Messages show back up.

If none of this works, and if you do not have an iCloud backup, then it is unlikely that you will be able to retrieve them. You can contact your carrier to see if they have any way to provide you with the SMS messages, and you can go to a 3rd party to see if they can recover them for you. Be aware, however, that if you have your device worked on by anyone but Apple or an AASP, you will void any warranty you may still have as well as put any option of getting an Out of Warranty swap in jeopardy.

If you decide to go to a 3rd party, do your homework first and make sure you are taking it to a business that has experience with iOS devices, that they have a good reputation, and that they provide a guarantee for their work.

Best of luck,

GB

Retrieve deleted messages? I'm desperate.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.