Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I lost over 3,000 of my photos that I had on iPhoto.

Macbook pro 2011

When I open my photos app, I only have the ones that I downloaded a few weeks ago off my daughters iPhone. All the photos that I have been loading onto my iPhoto are now gone. When I go into finder I only have a folder that is dated 2015 labeled photo library, when I click on this it takes me to a screen that says "updating library". I wait and wait for this to be completed... Suddenly an error will pop up saying REPAIR LIBRARY- The library "photos Library" has inconsistencies that must be repaired... so I click repair. The NEXT error THE LIBRARY COULD NOT BE OPENED; The library "photos Library" could not be recognized. So awesome... 1) Have no idea what this means 2) Does this even have anything to do with the 3,000 missing photos?

Valid info: I upgraded to OS X El Capitan a few months ago. I swear I was able to use iPhoto after this upgrade, however I am not 100%.

When I go to upgrade iPhoto in the store I get this error UPDATE UNAVAILABLE WITH THE APPLE ID: This update is not available for this Apple ID either because it was bought by a different user or the item was refunded or cancelled.

So after 3 hours of looking and trying to figure this out. I am depressed, stressed out, crazy, and just want to crawl into a hole and cry myself to sleep.

I do hope this all makes since I am over emotional right now and my eyes are ready to fall out from looking at this screen for so long.

Please help, offer advice, take pity on me.

OH and one last thing. I did a backup on my toshiba hard drive in June 2015 and I could not find the pictures on it either

MacBook Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11.1)

Posted on Feb 13, 2016 11:15 AM

5 replies

Feb 13, 2016 11:35 AM in response to MamaSelf

Could you explain a bit more, please?

The missing photos have been in an iPhoto Library that you used before the upgrade to El Capitan?

Do you still have the old iPhoto Library? Which version of iphoto do you have? And where are your photos libraries stored? Are they in the default location, your Pictures folder, or do you keep your photos libraries on an external drive?

I swear I was able to use iPhoto after this upgrade,

Only iPhoto version 9.6.1 works with El Capitan. Is that the iPhoto version you are having, or is the iPhoto icon crossed out like this?User uploaded file

What happened between the time you last saw your photos and now?

Feb 13, 2016 12:17 PM in response to léonie

I haven't used my iPhotos on the computer for a while and just figured it was still there. The missing photos were in the iPhoto app, same app I've used the past 4 years. I used this before the upgrade and never noticed after that the photos were missing. I guess what I am trying to say is, I do not actually know when my photos actually went missing.

As far as the old iPhoto library I do not know. When I try and open the iPhoto it does have that cross out image on it, it says to download the current version.

When I click on the photo app it only has the photos I downloaded a few weeks ago from my daughters old iPhone.

When I go to finder and click on the only iPhoto library icon I can find it has an error: "The content of the iPhoto library “iPhoto Library” has already been migrated to Photos. Open Photos to view your library or use a compatible version of iPhoto to open this iPhoto library". However, the photos library they are talking about do not have my older pictures?

I wish I could remember the last time I actually saw my old photos. It was a few months ago that I went into iPhoto and did anything with the pics. All i have done since June 2015 is 1) back my computer up (however, I think I did it incorrect) 2) Upgrade to El Cap. Now that I graduated I only use my laptop for social media, bills, pandora. This all came about because I went to download photos from my new Nikon camera and realized it wouldn't work and that El Cap is not compatible with the program.

I hope I answered your questions you asked. I am not a very tech savvy

Feb 13, 2016 12:45 PM in response to MamaSelf

Two choices

Possibly upgrading to iPhoto 9.6.1 - Can't Update iPhoto because it is not available in the App Store

or for sure using Photos - If you have not already migrated simply drag the iPhoto library to the Photos icon in the dock to migrate it - see How Photos handles content and metadata from iPhoto and Aperture - Apple Support

And upgrade to the latest version El Captain OS X 10.11.3 - it adds features and fixes bugs

LN

Feb 13, 2016 2:22 PM in response to LarryHN

When I try and upgrade the iPhoto I get this error: This update is not available for this Apple ID either because it was bought by a different user or the item was refunded or cancelled.

I have the latest El Cap 10.11.3

As far as the migrating I get this error: "The content of the iPhoto library “iPhoto Library” has already been migrated to Photos.

I lost over 3,000 of my photos that I had on iPhoto.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.