Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Itunes XML missing!! Nothing has worked to make a new one

I am currently running iTunes 12.3.2.35 on OS X 10.11.3. After installing iTunes 12 my .xml file disappeared. I have since been unable to recreate the file. So far I have checked the option "share iTunes Library XML file with other applications" and have tried to export the library as XML file. Neither has produced an XML file. I am looking in the correct location and have searched for the file on my computer and there is none to be found. The only other thing to note is that I have a very large library and it is therefore stored on an external hard drive. But it has been this way for a long time and I had no issues with an XML file being created or updated previously. Also to note, this was a new install on a fresh computer so there are no old versions of the XML file. Also iTunes is otherwise operating very well, no other issues of note... it hangs sometimes but that seems to be the norm for a large library on an external drive. I am going crazy trying to figure this out. I wouldn't mind because everything is otherwise working but I know I have massive amounts of duplicates and I am wanting to run some kind of duplicate management program but they all operate from the xml file. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Oh I have also tried removing the ITL file to the desktop and rebuilding the entire library.... twice! Which took me forever! That didn't work either.

Posted on Feb 13, 2016 11:19 AM

19 replies

Feb 13, 2016 11:36 AM in response to ironteeth

The XML file should be created in the same location as the active iTunes Library.itl. You should see that the ITL file is updated each time you open and close iTunes so there should be no doubt if you have the right location. I'm somewhat surprised that actively exporting an XML to say the desktop doesn't work, but iTunes does have a habit of failing silently when it can't/won't do what is asked of it.

tt2

Feb 13, 2016 11:38 AM in response to ironteeth

Just curious. what are you needing the .xml for?

I am looking in the correct location

which is where?

What files are in /Music/iTunes/ folder?

Take a screen shot & post it here.

Oh I have also tried removing the ITL file to the desktop and rebuilding the entire library.... twice! Which took me forever! That didn't work either.

When you rebuild the iTunes library, it uses the .xml file.

What is shown in iTunes prefs > Advanced and the Tunes media folder location?

Look there for the .itl file.

Feb 13, 2016 11:51 AM in response to Chris CA

I am needing the XML file to use with other third party applications... specifically I want to run a program to find and help me eliminate duplicate files in the library.

I rebuilt the iTunes library from scratch without an XML file. I created an all new iTunes and then imported all of my files to create a new clean library. I was worried about the previous library possibly being corrupt.

Like I said before the iTunes library file is located on my main HD while the media folder is located on an external drive. The XML file is not on the external drive either. I can find the ITL file, just not the XML file.

User uploaded file

Feb 14, 2016 7:52 AM in response to ironteeth

What happens if you create a new empty library and add a few test songs to it? Will that generate the XML if the option is enabled?

FWIW if your media is on an external drive I would normally put the library files there too. See Make a split library portable for details. If you end up having to start over it may pay to start by making a new library in the root of the drive, check that it is making an XML, and then gradually add media to it while keeping an eye that the XML is being updated.

tt2

Feb 14, 2016 9:43 PM in response to turingtest2

I didn't know that putting the library files in the root of the external was possible... that would have been very useful before I rebuilt the library. I may rebuild it just to have it more convenient. Can I just move the ITL file to the external drive or do I have to rebuild the library by importing all of the files again? My library is an excessive 10TB so I would rather not have to re-import again. Also I thought the overall performance would be better if I kept the ITL and XML files on the startup drive rather than the external, is there any truth to that assumption? Since its an extremely large library performance is an issue... although Apple claims library size doesn't affect performance.... but I am not so sure.

Feb 14, 2016 10:17 PM in response to turingtest2

I tried what you suggested and created a new small library and it was indeed successful at creating a library xml file. So I guess that means its something in my library creating the issue? Now what? Simply re-importing my files doesn't work... I've already tried that... and doing just pieces at a time isn't really a viable option due to size/time restrictions.

Itunes XML missing!! Nothing has worked to make a new one

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.