Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad disabled

My children have disabled my iPad by entering the wrong passcode (and/or my oldest has changed it and he's not confessing to it!!).

Problem I have is that I have read the Apple support paper on the subject. Erasing via "Find my iPhone" doesn't work because the device isn't synced to wifi - it's disabled! (Can someone explain how that route would ever work?)

Then doing a restore is also not working. I got to the restore screen in iTunes, but then I'm getting a message saying I need to enter the passcode on the device before it can connect to iTunes. Guys, that's the whole problem!!!

Can anyone help?

Posted on Feb 13, 2016 12:17 PM

5 replies

Feb 13, 2016 12:20 PM in response to John Singapore

Erase using recovery mode:

Erase your device with recovery mode

If you've never synced with iTunes or set up Find My iPhone in iCloud, you'll need to use recovery mode to restore your device. This will erase the device and its passcode.

1. Connect your iOS device to your computer and open iTunes. If you don't have a computer, borrow one from a friend, or go to an Apple Retail Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider.
  2. While your device is connected, force restart it: Press and hold the Sleep/Wake and Home buttons at the same time. Don't let go when you see the Apple logo — keep holding until you see the recovery mode screen.
    User uploaded file
  3. When you see the option to Restore or Update, choose Restore.
    User uploaded file
    iTunes will download software for your device. If it takes more than 15 minutes, your device will exit recovery mode and you'll need to repeat steps 2 and 3.
  4. Wait for the process to finish. Then you can set up and use your device.

* above copied from If you forgot the passcode for your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, or your device is disabled - Apple Support

Feb 13, 2016 12:21 PM in response to John Singapore

Just because the device is disabled, it should still connect to Wi-Fi. If that will not work, then after connecting to the computer and iTunes, if it asks for the passcode, then you will need to force the device into Recovery Mode. Information on how to do that is in this support document. If you forgot the passcode for your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, or your device is disabled - Apple Support

Erase your device with recovery mode

If you've never synced with iTunes or set up Find My iPhone in iCloud, you'll need to use recovery mode to restore your device. This will erase the device and its passcode.

1. Connect your iOS device to your computer and open iTunes. If you don't have a computer, borrow one from a friend, or go to an Apple Retail Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider.
  2. While your device is connected, force restart it: Press and hold the Sleep/Wake and Home buttons at the same time. Don't let go when you see the Apple logo — keep holding until you see the recovery mode screen.
    User uploaded file
  3. When you see the option to Restore or Update, choose Restore.
    User uploaded file
    iTunes will download software for your device. If it takes more than 15 minutes, your device will exit recovery mode and you'll need to repeat steps 2 and 3.
  4. Wait for the process to finish. Then you can set up and use your device.

User uploaded file

Feb 13, 2016 12:32 PM in response to John Singapore

John Singapore wrote:

Thanks for trying to help. But this is the thing - I got to recovery mode. But when I clicked Restore, it said that iTunes couldn't connect to the device until I entered the passcode (that's the problem!).

Can you try on another computer? If not, you could try DFU mode, it was recommended in the following thread. Recovery mode asks for passcode.

http://www.payetteforward.com/how-to-put-iphone-dfu-mode/

Contacting Apple Support would also be a good option: https://www.apple.com/support/

iPad disabled

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.