Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I bricked my iphone accidentaly by change time to 1970 jan 1st. What should i do to not lose anything from it?

I saw it on a trustful site, so i did it. that was a horrible mistake. it really outrageous. pls someone help what should i do?

iPhone 6s, iOS 9.2.1

Posted on Feb 13, 2016 12:12 PM

20 replies

Feb 13, 2016 2:05 PM in response to Philly_Phan

Philly_Phan wrote:

I've seen several descriptions like that. It's just that I need the "warm & fuzzy" of an Apple document saying that it's a good thing. With all of the flaming going on about unauthorized repairs, does that fit into that category? It seems like it's a bit more extensive than simply opening the case and looking around.

Larry's recommendation is sufficient for me. I don't have the time or the inclination to attempt to search the support site for documentation. Searching the support site should be classified as cruel and unusual punishment. However, as it doesn't involve opening the device or modifying it in any way, it hardly seems likely to be an issue.

Feb 13, 2016 2:21 PM in response to Philly_Phan

It's somewhere in the developer documentation. My link explains it, and what it actually is (I set my iOS device to January 1, 1970...). But basically it forces the primitive boot loader to install iOS. It was created so a new phone could have iOS installed. The normal Recovery Mode actually uses the current iOS to install a new one over itself. That clearly doesn't work if the phone has just come off the assembly line. It has other uses, such as restoring a GA version after a beta version has been installed. And apparently fixing a problem caused by setting the clock to negative Unix time.

Feb 13, 2016 8:08 PM in response to Philly_Phan

Philly_Phan wrote:

Many experienced posters have recommended DFU mode but I've been reluctant to follow suit. I've so far been unable to locate an Apple document that references DFU and I fear that this might be a dangerous procedure. Can you direct me accordingly?

DFU mode is described if the left column of page 5 in this Apple document:

https://www.apple.com/business/docs/iOS_Security_Guide.pdf

I bricked my iphone accidentaly by change time to 1970 jan 1st. What should i do to not lose anything from it?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.