Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Recover info off an old Time Machine HDD

Hi, I have the HDD from an old Time Machine unit that caught fire mounted into a normal external case after I was able to remove it from the melted unit (luckily the damage was to the case and circuit board only). I need to recover an e-mail off that unit, but don't know how to do so.

I have connected the unit to the Mac, and it can see that the HDD, but I am concerned that as the old Time Machine HDD is full it will start overwriting the oldest data and do a full backup of the mac and delete the info on the unit that I am trying to recover.

Any ideas on how to do the recovery off that HDD?

Thanks,

Pete

Airport Time Capsule 802.11ac, null

Posted on Feb 13, 2016 11:56 AM

12 replies

Feb 13, 2016 12:14 PM in response to PeterHOz

HDD from an old Time Machine unit that caught fire

Not something we hear very often.. overheat yes.. but not to the catching fire!!

I have connected the unit to the Mac, and it can see that the HDD, but I am concerned that as the old Time Machine HDD is full it will start overwriting the oldest data

Amazing you can do this..

So you have the hard disk in a USB holder and plugged into the Mac??

Your Mac will not use it for backups. But do turn Time Machine off for the moment. This is a new drive as far as your computer is concerned. It has no previous connection because it has changed from network to local.

Right (Option) Click on the Time Machine Clock in the dock and use the Browse other Time Machine Disk.. that will take you to the old backups.

Now extracting a single email is not likely to be possible.. but you can recover the entire inbox or outbox.

See Pondini on how to access recover emails.

http://pondini.org/TM/15m.html

Feb 14, 2016 11:23 AM in response to LaPastenague

Hi LaPastenague,

Thanks for the reply. I may have created a problem already it seems. Before I posted the question I did connect the drive to the Mac and pointed Time Machine at that drive to see if I could recover the data that way. When I could not see the old items I stopped time machine for the reason I mentioned in the post (Concern for overwriting data...)

I have stopped the Time Machine utility and hooked up the HDD and it shows me that there are 3 files with a large amount of data on the disk, see screenshot link: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/12831184/Screenshot%202016-02-15%2006.21.39. png but that the data file itself is a backup file update with yesterday's date on it..https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/12831184/Screenshot%202016-02-15%2006.10.07. png.

Is there another way of seeing what data is contained on the drive?

I suspect that I may have to take this in to an expert.

Feb 14, 2016 11:51 AM in response to PeterHOz

Your first screenshot shows the 3 disk partitions. Only the DATA partition which is almost the entire drive is relevant.. the other two partitions are tiny and only used by the TC internally.

The only file you have showing is the attempted backup. Which you should never have started and I hope stopped quickly enough to not cause issues.

The disk is showing nearly full. so the data is still there. It is either hidden or permissions are set wrongly.

Your data is in a sparsebundle which should have shown up. The fact that it didn't means either the drive was damaged or you are not using full admin user on the Mac or you had some password on the TC to hide files.

In your TC setup did you configure a disk password?? Or even user passwords? It can be difficult to extract data if you did that.. and of course if you have encrypted the disk or the backup.. life just got a whole lot harder.

Start by turning on view hidden files in Finder.

You can also use disk utility/terminal commands to do a check of the drive and check for permissions.

However if you have stuff that is vital to you, I would take it first to a Mac expert.. and explain what happened.

You can use a recovery software like Data Rescue or Disk Warrior.. download a trial of the former and you can test the drive.. it will not do any damage but just reads the drive and shows how much chance it has of recovery. It is $100 or so to then buy it if you have to.

If the Mac Expert cannot help you then a data recovery centre perhaps.. but note that extracting data from a disk is difficult at the best of times.. and Time Machine backups are pretty much useless unless the whole thing can be recovered intact. Even slight damage to a backup renders it unreadable to Time Machine.

Feb 14, 2016 3:15 PM in response to LaPastenague

Thanks for your reply.

Please see my underlined comments to your points below

Regards,

Pete

"I hope stopped quickly enough to not cause issues." A: The backup file that started is only 17k in size (I stopped it as soon as I realised what was happening - 30 seconds at the most)

"The disk is showing nearly full. so the data is still there. It is either hidden or permissions are set wrongly."

Your data is in a sparsebundle which should have shown up. The fact that it didn't means either the drive was damaged or you are not using full admin user on the Mac or you had some password on the TC to hide files. A:I am logged on with Admin permission. I have set the system to ShowAllFiles = YES and can see that there is a trashes folder on the HDD. However it tells me that I do not have permission to view the contents as per the screenshot. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/12831184/Screenshot%202016-02-15%2008.36.38. png

In your TC setup did you configure a disk password?? Or even user passwords? It can be difficult to extract data if you did that.. and of course if you have encrypted the disk or the backup.. life just got a whole lot harder. A: Yes, the TC had a password set, which I have, but without accessing it via TC I suspect I'm not going to have much luck (is that why the system is saying I don't have permission to view the Trashes folder?) I can see the contents of the other hidden folders by the way.

Start by turning on view hidden files in Finder. A:Done

You can also use disk utility/terminal commands to do a check of the drive and check for permissions.

However if you have stuff that is vital to you, I would take it first to a Mac expert.. and explain what happened.

You can use a recovery software like Data Rescue or Disk Warrior.. download a trial of the former and you can test the drive.. it will not do any damage but just reads the drive and shows how much chance it has of recovery. It is $100 or so to then buy it if you have to. A:I've downloaded a copy of Data Rescue and it does see quite a large number of files on the drive, but I cannot see anything in the Trashes folder. In looking at the size of all the files on the HDD I cannot see where the almost 3TB is used. I can see a number of deleted files but all of these are small files ~3-5MB in size which would account for no more than 10GB in total

If the Mac Expert cannot help you then a data recovery centre perhaps.. but note that extracting data from a disk is difficult at the best of times.. and Time Machine backups are pretty much useless unless the whole thing can be recovered intact. Even slight damage to a backup renders it unreadable to Time Machine. A:I'll go down this path - thanks for all you help with this

Feb 14, 2016 4:38 PM in response to PeterHOz

The sparsebundle file should not be in trash anyway.

Let me check what happens with the disk password.

A: Yes, the TC had a password set, which I have, but without accessing it via TC I suspect I'm not going to have much luck (is that why the system is saying I don't have permission to view the Trashes folder?) I can see the contents of the other hidden folders by the way.

It is important which you set.. disk password is very different to username and password..

Give me a few minutes to test this. I usually have a TC in various stages of disassembly.

Feb 14, 2016 6:11 PM in response to LaPastenague

Ok.. I did have a bit of slow response but it did work.

Setup the disk password in the TC. This shows my access to the files on the TC from main computer over the network.

User uploaded file

I removed the drive and plugged it into computer running El Capo using USB to SATA.

User uploaded file

I can then mount the sparsebundle and see the backup dates.

User uploaded file

However El Capo took 3 or 4 goes for it to work.. and the disk utility is utterly useless. Even if a drive doesn't show in finder it certainly should show in disk utility.

Feb 18, 2016 4:50 AM in response to PeterHOz

DONT WORRY 🙂 the ONLY WAY THAT IT WILL OVERRIGHT IS IF YOU SELECT IT THROUGH TIME CAPSULE. dont worry about it. just make sure you do the steps SLOWLY so that the computer has enought time to process it or it may show that it is corrupt. it may not be but if you dont do the process slowly, you will get error like, "the hard disk you inserted was not readable". or for other versions of mac you will get "the files on the hard disk drive cant be opened"

Recover info off an old Time Machine HDD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.