Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No reliable sound from Apple TV with receiver

I have a Yamaha YMC-500, a Samsung LN40B550 and an Apple TV. I haven't been able to figure out how to reliably use Airplay or play sound through the receiver since getting the Apple TV 4 when it first came out. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

What I have been able to do:

• Play sound through receiver and Apple TV, but it skips every few seconds ATV4 - AirPlay with TV off is choppy and turns itself off when I turn the TV on: How does one use Airplay while the TV is on? Neither of the discussion threads provided a solution. The workaround is I have to start Airplay while the TV is on, then turn the TV off. Annoying to say the least, a real disincentive to listening to anything.
  • Play sound through receiver and Apple TV without skipping and without stopping when I turn the TV on using this splitter http://www.ebay.com/itm/331580032013, but the sound volume varies every second.

Based on what I've been reading in other threads, Apple TV 4 simply doesn't work with receivers like previous models used to: Why is Apple TV 4 playback so choppy?

Am I SOL? Do I need a special newer model receiver? Has anyone got ATV4 to work with AirPlay and use ATV4 with sound through their receiver?

Apple TV, tvOS 9.1.1

Posted on Feb 13, 2016 11:42 AM

3 replies

Feb 14, 2016 8:51 AM in response to Vinceassociate

I spent a few more hours on this and this is what seemed to work after months of trial and error:

I simply plugged the HDMI cable to the HDMI 1 of the TV instead of HDMI 2 or 3. HDMI 1 by the TV is referred to as the HDMI/DVI port, and for some reason now everything seems to work. The only loss is that the volume control on my iPhone doesn't get as low as it used to, but I can live with that.

Per previous recommendations, I have HDMI from my Apple TV 4 going to a splitter (not a switcher), and splitting to the HDMI 3 of the receiver and to HDMI 2 of the TV. The receiver goes from HDMI Out to the HDMI 1/DVI of the TV (it used to go from HDMI Out to HDMI 2 of the TV).

ps I also found out that TVs aren't designed to get sound through the receiver without cable boxes. What?!

No reliable sound from Apple TV with receiver

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.