Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When I re-open my mac all the previously open windows have moved to the first desktop (i have 3 desktops open).

When I re-open my mac all the previously open windows have moved to the first desktop (i have 3 desktops open).

Which is annoying because then I have to re-position all the windows in to the other desktops.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X El Capitan (10.11.2)

Posted on Feb 13, 2016 12:42 PM

8 replies

Feb 13, 2016 6:43 PM in response to Eric Root

Thanks for your help. Unfortunately doing that does not fix the issue. ALthough interestingly that was a previous problem I had, where the desktops would re-arrange themselves so that the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd desktops were in order of what was most recently used, which was annoying as I like to have the 3rd desktop for study, the 2nd for research, and the 1st for personal use, and these would always re-arrange to what was most recently used. However I fixed this option by unchecking the 'automatically rearrange spaces'.

This however, does not fix my issue that I have now, which is that all the open windows and programs that I have in the other desktops will, in the morning, be all located in desktop 1. I want to make it so that when I open my computer at the start of the day, all the open windows remain in the desktop that they were located in the night before.

Sam

Feb 14, 2016 1:42 AM in response to Eau Rouge

Thanks for your help, not the solution however.

Because for example, I have open an individual safari window in each desktop. SO I don't want to anchor safari to a particular desktop, I want to use it in all 3 because I use safari for different purposes in each window. It's not a huge issue it just seems like an annoying bug. Because there is no purpose for all windows moving back to Deskop 1 every morning. I just have to move them back to their resepctive windows every morning.

Feb 14, 2016 1:54 AM in response to Eau Rouge

Having 3 separate desktops that I can use for different activities is my absolute favourite thing about Macs. I can have one desktop for study and one for personal entertainment. I use a safari window in the study desktop to look up course content, and the safari window in the personal desktop for facebook and watching movies etc. It's perfect. I don't see how having a separate safari window open in 3 different desktops is any different from having 3 windows open in the same desktop, which you can expect, and indeed many people do have multiple safari windows open.

The issue here is that ALL windows from all apps that I'm using, at the start of the day, are moved back to the 1st desktop so that it's completely over-crowded. But htis doesn't happen if I close the lid for a few minutes, but it happens every morning. I think it's reasonable to expect the windows to stay where I left them. It's not like I"m restarting the computer in which case I would understand everything being moved.

I do use tabs in safari.

Feb 14, 2016 2:17 AM in response to asfdsafer323

Yes desktops is a very useful feature, but it is app based. you can't assign different web pages to open in different desktops

the way you can with apps.

but surely using tabs negates having to move safari pages to separate desktops. if you open the same pages at the same starting place

each time you can 'pin' them, in Safari from menubar Window> Pin Tab

you say all windows from all apps

if you assigned your different apps to certain desktops then they would never all open all in desktop 1

but open in there assigned desktops.

if you want to suggest what you wish for you should really get in touch with Apple.

http://www.apple.com/feedback/macosx.html

Feb 14, 2016 3:24 AM in response to asfdsafer323

asfdsafer323 wrote:

Having 3 separate desktops that I can use for different activities is my absolute favourite thing about Macs. I can have one desktop for study and one for personal entertainment.

Reminds me of the saying, "There are three groups of people in the world. Those that can count and those that can't.". 🙂

You seem to be confusing assigning an app's windows to different desktops with assigning the app to more than one desktop. The former can be done. The latter can't.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.