Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Search engine

MY problem started when I installed Norton on my Mac book air everytime I click on safari it defaults to yahoo tabs at top of page and tells me I am not connected to the Internet.i have goggle set as my search engine!

MacBook Air, iOS 9

Posted on Feb 13, 2016 2:18 PM

3 replies

Feb 13, 2016 3:02 PM in response to mcdonelm

mcdonelm wrote:

MY problem started when I installed Norton on my Mac book air everytime I click on safari it defaults to yahoo tabs at top of page and tells me I am not connected to the Internet.i have goggle set as my search engine!

Macs do not need anti-virus programs. The kinds of viruses that programs like that scan for and protect against are the kind that install themselves on the hard drive with no action taken by you, and those affect Windows at this time, not OS X. Mac users need to be vigilant against malware/adware, which get on your hard drive when you download something you shouldn't from some place you shouldn't. To avoid installing malware/adware on your computer, avoid the following kinds of sites:

• XXX sites
  • torrent sites
  • aggregate download sites (CNET, Softonic, Download (dot) com, MacUpdate, etc)
  • mp3 download sites (Mp3 Skull, mp3monkey, etc.)
  • any site that says you can download something for free that you know costs money

Feb 13, 2016 3:53 PM in response to mcdonelm

A

Please disable all Safari extensions and test. If the problem is resolved, re-enable the extensions one or a few at a time until you find the culprit.

B

Remove the Norton/Symantec product(s) by following these instructions. If you have a different version of the product, the procedure may be different. If you tried to remove it by dragging an application to the Trash, reinstall it and finish the job.

Back up all data before making any changes. Never install any "anti-virus" or "anti-malware" product again.

Search engine

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.