Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Manage which communication ports are open?

I have an iMac 5K and bought the game "Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Conviction" for it, but it doesn't work. A message pops up claiming the game simply can NOT connect to the internet. Hmm. Every other function of the computer and other games seem to have zero problems connecting to the internet when needed.

I contacted Ubisoft and they send a rambling set of Must-Have conditions back that included the semi-opaque step:

2. If it is not possible to shut-down your firewall, you will need to configure your router or firewall to allow the following network ports for the best possible connection:

Uplay Required Ports:

TCP: 80, 443, 13000, 14000, 14008

Directions for configuring network ports are specific to the software and hardware being used, and can be found by visiting the manufacturer’s website.

The firewall is off in my System Settings>Security>Firewall, so, perhaps it's a Port setting? Are the ones mentioned any different from the iMac normal or default ones? If so, where would I check/change them to comply with the game's requirements?

I can connect to the internet through my older flat-body Airport Extreme or through my U-verse router, and both ways exhibit the same fault.

Leticia @ Ubisoft's finger-pointing continues, claiming the fault is "applications running in the background" or "certain restrictions set by my ISP" but that sounds like complete hooey.

Any help would be appreciated.

iMac with Retina 5K display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), 16 GB

Posted on Feb 13, 2016 1:10 PM

2 replies

Feb 13, 2016 1:47 PM in response to Peter Inova1

In addition to the software firewall on your iMac, the "firewall" that Ubisoft is referring to is that of your router's. The step-by-step instructions to open ports on the firewall will be dependent on which router you use to access the Internet.

For the AirPort routers, please check out the following AirPort User Tip. If, instead, you are using the U-verse router, then you will need to refer to its manufacturer's user guide for assistance.

The following ports would be required to be opened:

• 9100 UDP
  • 9103 UDP
  • 10196 UDP
  • 22350 TCP

Note: You may want to double-check the required ports with Ubisoft support. TCP ports 80 & 443 may be an issue if your ISP thinks that you are running a game server on your local network and could block them ... so the ISP being an issue is not always the case of not being "hooey."

Feb 13, 2016 1:46 PM in response to Peter Inova1

I contacted Ubisoft and they send a rambling set of Must-Have conditions back that included the semi-opaque step:

2. If it is not possible to shut-down your firewall, you will need to configure your router or firewall to allow the following network ports for the best possible connection:

Uplay Required Ports:

TCP: 80, 443, 13000, 14000, 14008

Directions for configuring network ports are specific to the software and hardware being used, and can be found by visiting the manufacturer’s website.

These instructions are for your router, which is the Uverse product. You will need to check with ATT support to find out whether your router has a setting to enable UPnP.....(Universal Plug and Play).....which is a process that automatically opens the correct ports that the game needs.

Your AirPort Extreme is in Bridge Mode...or it should be....so no settings changes are required for the AirPort....since it will automatically pass through the settings that it receives from the Uverse router.

Bottom line....your Uverse router is the product that will determine whether or not the new game will play correctly on your network.

Manage which communication ports are open?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.