Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple logo is orange and infinite loop

I tried factory resetting my phone. I tried to do this with Itunes on my windows computer. But, whenever I tried to reset, restore to an older version, or update, it just stated 'Error 3194. Unknown Error has occurred'. I didn't understand what was going on, so I decided to restart my Iphone on the phone itself in settings, Erasing all settings and content. The IPhone restarted, the apple logo was white and the background was black, the usual. But, the apple logo changes into an orange-yellow combination while the black background still remains black.

I couldn't get passed this loop. I tried plugging it into it's charger, I tried its recovery state, but it still states 'Error 3194, Unknown Error has occurred. The phone was jailbroken since a member of my family enjoys doing that, but I can't get passed this orange apple logo, if anyone can provide any answers, that would be great. Thanks!

iPhone 6, iOS 8.4, Jailbroken

Posted on Feb 13, 2016 1:30 PM

11 replies

Feb 13, 2016 1:36 PM in response to Ayrtob

Your issue is probably related to the jailbreak. You can try to put your device into DFU mode and remove the jailbreak, but it may not work. The error you see has to do with trying to install the wrong ipsw on the device. You mentioned an older version, that would do it. Also, the jailbreak can affect the modem software version. Google for DFU and try that. Also you may want to check this support document first to ensure your computer is clear of changes that can be made when you jailbreak a phone. If you see Error 3194, Error 17, or 'This device isn't eligible for the requested build' in iTunes - Apple Support

It is possible the DFU restore will restore the phone, but you may not, as a result of the jailbreak. If that is the case, Apple will not support the phone. You may just be out of luck.

Feb 13, 2016 1:56 PM in response to Philly_Phan

I don't know there is an actual Apple document, but there are instructions everywhere. Lawrence posted instructions in another thread earlier. ive set the date to the 1/1/70 what do i do? I'm not aware that it is dangerous, just tricky to do.

A DFU restore will usually recover the phone:

• Install the latest version of iTunes on your computer if it isn't there already ( (you must have Windows 7 or later or OS X 10.8.5 or later)
  • Reboot your computer
  • Disable any antivirus and firewalls
  • Launch iTunes
  • Connect the device cable to a USB port on the computer (not to a USB hub), but DO NOT CONNECT TO THE DEVICE YET
  • Press and hold the HOME and SLEEP buttons at the same time for exactly 10 seconds, until the screen turns black, then release the SLEEP button but continue holding the HOME button. If an Apple logo appears while holding both buttons you held for too long; start over.
  • While still holding the HOME button connect the other end of the cable to the device
  • You should see a message in iTunes saying a phone in Recovery mode has been detected (it may take up to a minute for the message to appear). When you see that message release the HOME button and the device should restore. When asked DO NOT restore a backup; set up as a new phone.

Try several times if it doesn't work the first time; getting it into DFU mode is tricky.

Feb 13, 2016 1:58 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

I saw your response just after I posted to Meg on the same topic (different thread):

I've seen several descriptions like that. It's just that I need the "warm & fuzzy" of an Apple document saying that it's a good thing. With all of the flaming going on about unauthorized repairs, does that fit into that category? It seems like it's a bit more extensive than simply opening the case and looking around.

Feb 13, 2016 2:01 PM in response to Philly_Phan

It doesn't require any opening of the phone, and from what I've read, is just a little different method from the restore to factory. Seems it will force a new download and install of the firmware, where a restore to factory looks and if there is a copy of the latest ipsw on your computer, it will use it. I may be a little off on my description, and if so, I apologize, but that is based on my understanding of how it works.

Apple logo is orange and infinite loop

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.