Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to sync some songs to 80 GB iPod Classic

I've successfully used iTunes on a Windows 7 PC with various iPod Classics for several years, and currently use a 5th generation 80GB Classic in my car and a late model 160GB classic in my home. Both are on latest software; 1.3 & 2.0.5 respectively. My iTunes library is currently approx. 12,500 songs / 73GB, all either music or podcasts, no videos, no movies, no contacts/calendars/other data.

Until recently I have synced everything to the 160GB and restricted the 80GB to selected Playlists which left about 10GB free space. This has worked just fine for both iPods for repeated syncs, and the 160gb sync is still trouble free, but now the 80GB starts to sync then freezes the sync and iTunes on certain songs.

I have done repeated Restores of the 80GB in iTunes, have reformatted the disc in Windows ("Scanned / No Problems") then Restored again, but still have the same problem.

I then used 'Manually manage songs' to transfer a Playlist of just less than 4,000 songs, during which the sync and iTunes froze on several individual songs. After much hassle and several hours working my way to the end of the Playlist, I successfully transferred about 3,800 songs to the iPod, which interfaced as normal with my car player, but had 114 songs which failed to transfer from iTunes to the iPod and hung the sync process. Going back to try reloading any one of these 114 songs (mostly .mp3, plus a few .mp4a & .mp4p) caused an immediate hang of iTunes. All of these 114 tracks play trouble free in iTunes, sync without problem to the 160GB iPod, and play problem free on my house system.

Having just performed another Format and Restore, I've just deleted all the music I manually transferred so once again have an empty 80GB iPod which fails to sync as soon as it gets to the first of the 114 "faulty" tracks.

I thought I knew my way around iTunes and iPods, but after trawling multiple support forums have been unable to work my way through this problem.

iPod classic 160GB (Late 2009), Windows 7, iPod classic 80GB (2006-09)

Posted on Feb 13, 2016 1:37 PM

16 replies

Feb 15, 2016 11:12 AM in response to Kenichi Watanabe

I'd tried that as one of my dozens of iterations / variations and got an instant hang of iPod, iTunes and the sync process. iTunes continues to show it is syncing even though it isn't, and the iPod says 'do not remove' even though that is the only option I have to be able to subsequently communicate with iTunes or get back control of my PC.

Since my original post, I formatted & restored the iPod yet again, duplicated the 4,000 song playlist I had been trying to sync, exported a list of the 114 'problem' songs, then went through it and manually deleted the 114 songs from the duplicate playlist, then synced the iPod and it ran to successful completion. Attempting to then manually add any of the 114 'problem' songs causes an immediate hang. I fail to understand the logic if I have say 5 songs from one album and 4 sync OK when one does not.

Feb 15, 2016 11:33 AM in response to MRMRH

As a test, pick one of the 114 problem songs. Drag it to the Desktop to save a copy of its song file there. Then, delete that song from your iTunes library, choosing the option to trash the song file. If you care about play count, pick a song that has a low play count for this test.

From the Desktop, drag the song file to the iTunes window, and drop it on your music library to re-add it. Try loading just that song on the iPod. In this case, the song is considered a new song to iTunes, although the song file is the same.

If you have iTunes Match, you can also do a variation of this test. Remove Download for one of those 114 songs that is a matched (not uploaded) song. Then, Download it from your iCloud Music Library. Try loading just that song on the iPod. In this case, the song remains in your iTunes library and only the song file is changed.

Feb 15, 2016 1:34 PM in response to Kenichi Watanabe

Appreciate you trying to help. However, no luck with first part of your suggested action. I do not us iTunes Match.

I decided to follow your suggestion with 2 different songs; delete both from iTunes library, then reload song#1 manually and reload song#2 as part of iPod sync.

Reload of song#1 hung iTunes after about 35% of song. I deleted song#1 from iTunes library again, then tried syncing the iPod to reload song#2 and it hung iTunes at about 55% of song. It is interesting that if I repeat any of these actions, any individual song always hangs at the same point (eg 35% for song#1).

As yet another variation, I again deleted both songs from iTunes, then re-input them to iTunes from the original song files in Windows and tried to manually copy them to the 80GB iPod. Once again song#1 hung at approx. 35% and song#2 at approx. 55%. Both of these songs happen to come from two different CDs I own, and other songs from these CDs sync without problem. I haven't gone as far as re-creating the Windows song files for these two songs - trying to do that for 114 songs from multiple sources would be a completed pain.

Feb 15, 2016 3:15 PM in response to MRMRH

This is a mystery...

What audio format are these 114 songs? Are they all the same, or different? Show the library list using the Songs view, to show a plain list with columns, and make the Bit Rate and Kind columns visible (right-click heading row of list to show/hide columns). What does it say there for the songs with this problem? Are they typical MP3 or AAC format? Some type of lossless format?

If the songs have something in common, that may provide a clue. You could try converting one of them to a different audio format, using iTunes, as a test.

Feb 15, 2016 4:37 PM in response to Kenichi Watanabe

My iTunes library of 12,500 songs has been compiled over several years from multiple sources; hundreds of CDs, a small number of LP tracks added using Audacity, maybe a couple of hundred purchased from the Apple store, plus a gazillion downloads from Artist websites, other paid or free download websites, YouTube, Bit Torrents, full concert audio edited into individual songs using Audacity, whatever. The bulk of the library that syncs without problem to either iPod is the same mix as the 114 problem songs (and in many cases from the same original CD / Album / Website / Torrent source).

Data from the 114 problem songs that fail to sync manually or otherwise shows the music comes from 96 Albums by 83 Artists. Bit Rates are a complete range including 128, 157, 160, 174, 192, 200, 256, 320 kbps, and Kind is almost a 50/50 split of AAC Audio Files / MPEG Audio Files with just a few variables like 5 Protected AAC and 3 Purchased AAC. A quick skip through File Types shows the majority as .mp3, a large number of .mp4a plus a small number of .mp4p

Skipping through the successfully synced 3,800 songs shows exactly the same variable mix of all of these values or File Types.

Feb 16, 2016 6:56 AM in response to MRMRH

Still a mystery to me...

The cause must be a very minor type of data corruption, that does not affect syncing to the other iPod (and playback in iTunes), but does affect syncing to the 5th gen iPod (for an uncertain reason). For the 5 protected and 3 purchased AAC songs, copy off the song files to your Desktop (or somewhere else) as a backup. Then remove them from your iTunes library (and delete their song files). Go to the iTunes Store Purchased screen to download them again.

Download your past purchases - Apple Support

See if the fresh downloads from iTunes Store work any better. They should.

NOTE: It's possible that a past purchase is not available for re-download, because iTunes Store no longer sells that item. If that happens for any of these 8 songs, add song back to your iTunes library from the backup.

For the remaining 96, I don't have any suggestions, except to recreate their song files from their source (like the CDs or original downloads). It may also work to convert them to another format, and convert them back. For example, you could burn them to a CDR or CDRW using iTunes, to create an Audio CD, which converts the songs to AIFF format (do not use the setting for MP3 CD or Data CD). Then, import them back into iTunes, converting them to AAC or MP3 format. AIFF is a lossless format, so the loss in audio quality from the conversions should be minimized.

You can probably do the equivalent without burning a CDR, using a more specialized sound editing program. Actually, you can do it using iTunes, by setting the Import Settings appropriately in iTunes Preference General tab, and using the File -> Create a New Version command. The key is to obtain unaffected versions of the song files.

Feb 16, 2016 1:41 PM in response to Kenichi Watanabe

Thanks for persisting with help.

Once again, inconsistent results to draw any conclusions from. As you suggested I deleted all 8 songs from iTunes and my Windows music folders, re-downloaded from iTunes Store, then manually dragged them from iTunes to the 80GB iPod. All but 2 migrated successfully, so thanks for that.

I re-deleted and re-downloaded the 2 failed songs from iTunes Store, tried to load them to the iPod one at a time and........ nothing. The songs did not migrate, and iTunes showed no info / status / error message.

The 6 successfully migrated songs comprised 5 .m4p format and 1 .m4a. The 2 failed songs are both .m4a files.

Ho-hum. 6 successes, 2 no-answers, and only 106 (not 96) to go. Thanks again for trying.

Aug 14, 2016 2:42 PM in response to MRMRH

Thanks for persisting with help.

Once again, inconsistent results to draw any conclusions from. As you suggested I deleted all 8 songs from iTunes and my Windows music folders, re-downloaded from iTunes Store, then manually dragged them from iTunes to the 80GB iPod. All but 2 migrated successfully, so thanks for that.

I re-deleted and re-downloaded the 2 failed songs from iTunes Store, tried to load them to the iPod one at a time and........ nothing. The songs did not migrate, and iTunes showed no info / status / error message.

The 6 successfully migrated songs comprised 5 .m4p format and 1 .m4a. The 2 failed songs are both .m4a files.

Ho-hum. 6 successes, 2 no-answers, and only 106 (not 96) to go. Thanks again for trying.

Aug 14, 2016 3:29 PM in response to MRMRH

FINALLY, after my 80GB sync problem list has grown to 144 songs and 400+ people have viewed this problem thread without offering a solution, I discovered the answer whilst trying to sort out another issue that has been all over various Apple forums for several years (songs stop playing mid-track, not playing to completion). Solution to both problems (at least for me) ..............

In iTunes on PC
1. Select and Highlight problem Song
2. Click on File on main Menu bar
3. Select Convert from drop-down Menu
4. From side-bar Menu, click Create AAC Version (even if original songfile is .m4a rather than .mp3)
5. iTunes Playlist will show two versions of Song; original problem version plus new AAC Version created in previous step
6. Delete original problem version from both iTunes and Windows (Delete + Move to Recycle Bin)
7. Sync iPod with iTunes

On iPod
8. For Problem 1 (this thread: unable to sync some songs to iPod) After iPod Sync completes successfully, verify that songs that previously would not sync are now present on iPod
9. For Problem 2 (songs not playing to end of track) Select and Play new AAC Version (.m4a) of problem Song created above to verify it plays to completion

Aug 19, 2016 11:29 PM in response to MRMRH

I have the 80 gig iPod classic as well. I'm having the same type of issue. Is there a way to narrow down the problem songs or do I just have to have a ton of patience? My iPod is having the issue that it will get stuck at a certain song. I have 6,800 songs to download and it's getting stuck on the 311th song, and that song was downloaded from a cd. Was it 144 failed attempts? Because that could take a while.

Aug 20, 2016 11:46 AM in response to knight510

Hi,

Yes you need a ton of patience. It took me literally years of workarounds until I stumbled across a 2009 posting on a different discussion forum which gave me a nudge towards solving my problem. Now I have resolved my 144 song issue completely, my 80GB iPod syncs to normal completion, and if I have any new problem songs I just run through the AAC conversion process I listed.

All of my 13,000 files of music / podcast / foreign language stuff fits easily on the 160GB iPod I use at home, but it won't all fit and I don't need all of it on the 80GB I use in the car. So this is how I got there (it takes longer to type this stuff than to actually do it)...................

Step 1. I created a Playlist called 80GB of just under 5,000 songs for the car, and set the summary page (iPod icon at top of iTunes menu > iPod from drop-down menu > Options) for the 80GB sync to Sync only ticked songs and videos, then after selecting iPod > Music checking only the 80GB playlist before clicking Sync

Step 2. The sync process would hang mid-way thru some random song. Despite the Do not disconnect warning, the only way to get out of the hung iTunes was to disconnect the iPod.

Step 3. I created another Playlist called Lost Trax. You can obviously call yours whatever you like, like F'ing annoying iTunes problems.

Step 4. I dragged the problem song into the Lost Trax playlist, then made sure I deleted it from the 80GB Playlist before running the iPod sync again. Over the years I went through the Step 2 to Step 4 loop over and over again to get the 80GB iPod to sync to completion, until I had 114 problem songs when I first posted on this Forum and 144 when I found the solution.

Step 5. The solution I posted above on 14th August. After running through the process 144 times, once for each of the problem songs, I now have zero files in my Lost Trax playlist and my 80GB iPod syncs to successful completion every time.

It's a pain in the butt (US), or a pain in the arse (I'm a Brit in the US), but it works. Best of luck!

Aug 21, 2016 12:01 AM in response to knight510

I have never had any similar issues with my newer 160GB iPod, which happily sync'd all of the 'problem' songs without error. Mind you, I never had this problem with the original 60GB iPods I owned way back when. Despite multiple posts on this and other forums mentioning bad hard disks, battery problems, or other iPod hardware / software issues, none of the suggestions in these postings was of any help. I was never convinced the cause of the problem was iPod hardware related.

Since you seem to have a similar if not identical problem, I'll be interested to learn how you get on. Please report back.

Unable to sync some songs to 80 GB iPod Classic

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.