Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Transfer from one hard drive to another

I transferred all of my music from one hard drive to another. I want to be able to play those files from the new location without redownloading everything from itunes match or duplicating entries for files within itunes. As of right now Itunes is displaying my entire library with the download icon next to it. If I drag and drop files from the new location to Itunes it creates duplicate entries. I could re-download the entire library through itunes match but that would be a big waste of time. I would like to be able to tell itunes to look for my library in the new directory location. Is this possible?

Windows-OTHER, Windows 8

Posted on Feb 13, 2016 3:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 13, 2016 6:45 PM

See Make a split library portable for general background. If the library was already split and you've moved the content from one drive to another you can fix things by reassigning drive letters. Otherwise if you copy over the library files and put the media folder back inside it then it should be as if you moved a portable library as a unit and everything should fall back into place.

tt2

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 13, 2016 6:45 PM in response to JamoncC

See Make a split library portable for general background. If the library was already split and you've moved the content from one drive to another you can fix things by reassigning drive letters. Otherwise if you copy over the library files and put the media folder back inside it then it should be as if you moved a portable library as a unit and everything should fall back into place.

tt2

Feb 13, 2016 4:37 PM in response to turingtest2

turingtest2 wrote:

Otherwise if you copy over the library files and put the media folder back inside it then it should be as if you moved a portable library as a unit and everything should fall back into place.

Pretty much this, but I thought some elaboration might help. Inside my music folder I have a folder called iTunes. Inside of that I have a folder for album artwork, a folder for the music itself, and four individual files, all of which I'm pretty sure was automatically created by iTunes when I first downloaded it. One is called "iTunes Library" and the type is listed as 'iTunes Database File', and another is called "iTunes Music Library", with the type listed as 'XML Document'. Copying the entire iTunes folder (including the separate files) gave me my library back with basically no effort on my part when I moved computers (I had to go locate the songs again, probably because I manually do pretty much everything, but after finding one it instantly found the rest).

Transfer from one hard drive to another

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.