Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No storage on iPhone but can't delete because of iCloud

I have an iPhone 5s 16 GB and a 21.5" iMac 1TB. I use the Photos app on both. Recently I subscribed to 1 TB of iCloud storage as a way to sync my Photos library (about 300 GB) between my devices and have access to my photos from anywhere.

My storage is full on my iPhone and when I imported my photos to the Photos app on my iMac it didn't give me the option to delete the photos from my iPhone. When I attempted to delete the photo's off my phone I got the warning message saying "This photo will be deleted from your iCloud Photo Library on all your devices".

My question is how can I free up storage on my iPhone but keep my photos on my iCloud Library and iMac? I love the ability to view and edit my photos from all my devices but need to be able to continue to take pictures with my iPhone.

iMac, iOS 9.2.1

Posted on Feb 13, 2016 3:10 PM

11 replies

Feb 13, 2016 6:19 PM in response to Winston Churchill

Churchhill, so there is not a way for me to store my photo's only on my iMac (not my iPhone) but still be able to access them from the cloud? That would be pretty inconvenient. What good is 1 TB of iCloud storage if there is no way to access it from my devices? If 300 GB filled up my 16 GB phone, then I would need more than a 46 GB device to house 1 TB of iCloud storage!!

Feb 14, 2016 8:39 PM in response to jmarshallchelsea

You are wanting the iCloud photo library to be something it is not. As Winston hints at, I doubt you can squeeze 300GB of photos on to a 16GB phone.

It is *not* off device storage. It is meant to sync your content across all your devices, with the caveat that the smallest storage space device being the limiting factor. It's purpose is to allow you access to your photos from any of your Apple devices.

If space is an issue, maybe use Photo Stream instead, but know that it is only going to "keep" 1000 photos or for 30 days, whichever happens first.

No storage on iPhone but can't delete because of iCloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.