Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto to iCloud - I'm so confused

Ok, so my wife upgraded from 4S to 6S today. As it's supposed to, any photo we take with the 6S uploads automatically to iCloud. We thought now would be a good time to backup the photos from the 4S to the cloud (we haven't done it in a while). There seems to not be an easy way to do this except to upload it into iPhoto and then upload those to the Cloud. Or is there?

Anyway, while doing that, I thought that I should upload all old photos in iPhoto (all 11,000 of them) to the Cloud while I was at it. It was working swimmingly....until we realized as I was uploading the photos to iCloud they were appearing in my wife's new phone. And, if we deleted one of the newly uploaded photos from her phone - it deleted it from iCloud.

Clear. As. Mud.

Anyway, is there a way to backup all iPhoto pics to the Cloud without them showing up on my wife's phone?

I haz teh dumb.

Thanks in advance!

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Feb 13, 2016 4:22 PM

3 replies

Feb 13, 2016 4:29 PM in response to yostabbastabba

With iCloud Photo Library enabled, you cannot delete a photo on one device (or at iCloud.com) without deleting it from every device that uses iCloud photo library (and iCloud.com). In order to save space on your mobile devices (and indeed your Mac if you wish to do so) turn on optimisation for photos on these devices (settings > photos & camera > optimise storage on your mobile device and Photo preferences > optimise storage on your Mac)

Optimisation is dynamic, it reduces the resolution of your photos as and when needed, so you may not notice it occurring at first. However when it is needed, it is very effective and users have reported libraries being optimised to much less than 10% of their original size in some cases. My own library is about 9% of its original size on my phone.

How are you adding photos from iPhoto to the cloud.

iPhoto to iCloud - I'm so confused

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.