Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

do I really want to compress all my data?

Hi there,

I am a total techno peasant, and was trying to find out how much space was left on my 2009 macbook pro. In finder, I saw 'compress data', and thought I remembered the salesperson way back in the day recommending to do this. I clicked on it, and now my computer is making its way through compressing 183.59 GB of data, which it says will take 5 days! When I tried a google search, I came across lots of complicated stuff that sounds like you should only be compressing one file at a time.

While we're at it, can you please tell me how to find out how much space is left on my computer?

With many thanks, and it's okay if you are rolling your eyes.

Dana

MacBook Pro

Posted on Feb 13, 2016 2:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 13, 2016 3:34 PM

Hi Dana,

Are you compressing your entire Hard Drive? Or just certain data folders on the Hard Drive?

Compressing data such as photos, documents, pdf's, and other similar files is perfectly OK!

A file is constructed of a bunch of metadata. Metadata is simply data about data. Well, there is certain metadata the is just unnecessary in a file and has no benefit. With compression, the file gets processed and stripped away of some of the metadata and its attributes, which results in a much smaller file size.

However, there are certain data that you do NOT want to compress. These include binary files that construct the Operating System (OS). If attempting to compress these types of files, then corruption is likely to occur or can occur. When compressing data, ensure that you can do it without affecting your Operating System files.

The reason why your compression is taking so long is because you MOST likely have a very low disk speed. Depending on your Laptop model and year, you most likely have a Hard Drive that has a speed of 5400 Revolutions Per Minute (RPMs). This is.... the magnetic disks inside the hard drive that are spinning around a single spindle to read and write data. Low RPMs result in slow disk speed, which slows EVERYTHING down. *And to point out, if your disk is old and has a lot of read/writes that have occurred in its lifetime, then the speed of the disks would degrade. This is called performance degradation.

In your scenario, I would assume you have a slow disk, low RAM, and a low-end processor. Given these factors, it would take time to process and compress all of the data on your drive.

I would suggest killing the compression operation. Compression is really meant for those individuals that are EXTREMELY low on disk space and they have no choice OR you have pure RAW data that can slow down operations in an application you are working with, in which case you would compress the data to strip out some of that unnecessary metadata.

In the future, when you get a brand new machine, it's better to setup compression on your disk before you start using your machine. The data will then get compressed in increments rather than in one sitting that takes a very long time.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Mark

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 13, 2016 3:34 PM in response to dananeeedshelp

Hi Dana,

Are you compressing your entire Hard Drive? Or just certain data folders on the Hard Drive?

Compressing data such as photos, documents, pdf's, and other similar files is perfectly OK!

A file is constructed of a bunch of metadata. Metadata is simply data about data. Well, there is certain metadata the is just unnecessary in a file and has no benefit. With compression, the file gets processed and stripped away of some of the metadata and its attributes, which results in a much smaller file size.

However, there are certain data that you do NOT want to compress. These include binary files that construct the Operating System (OS). If attempting to compress these types of files, then corruption is likely to occur or can occur. When compressing data, ensure that you can do it without affecting your Operating System files.

The reason why your compression is taking so long is because you MOST likely have a very low disk speed. Depending on your Laptop model and year, you most likely have a Hard Drive that has a speed of 5400 Revolutions Per Minute (RPMs). This is.... the magnetic disks inside the hard drive that are spinning around a single spindle to read and write data. Low RPMs result in slow disk speed, which slows EVERYTHING down. *And to point out, if your disk is old and has a lot of read/writes that have occurred in its lifetime, then the speed of the disks would degrade. This is called performance degradation.

In your scenario, I would assume you have a slow disk, low RAM, and a low-end processor. Given these factors, it would take time to process and compress all of the data on your drive.

I would suggest killing the compression operation. Compression is really meant for those individuals that are EXTREMELY low on disk space and they have no choice OR you have pure RAW data that can slow down operations in an application you are working with, in which case you would compress the data to strip out some of that unnecessary metadata.

In the future, when you get a brand new machine, it's better to setup compression on your disk before you start using your machine. The data will then get compressed in increments rather than in one sitting that takes a very long time.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Mark

Feb 13, 2016 4:04 PM in response to dananeeedshelp

Hi Dana,

Sure. Here is how you can do that (2 ways):

1. Pop open the Apple menu in the upper left had corner (Apple Icon), then

2.Select About This Mac.

3. On OS X Yosemite or newer, click the Storage tab in the toolbar to see how much disk space you have available.

4. (On OS X Mountain Lion or Mavericks, click the More info... button, then click Storage.) You’ll also get a simplified overview of what sort of files are eating up your storage space.

User uploaded file

Another way is to do the following:

1. Open Spotlight by clicking the magnifying glass in the upper-right corner of the screen

2. Type Disk Utility in the search box that appears

3. Once Disk Utility comes up in the list and is highlighted, press the Enter key.

4. Once Disk Utility opens, select your hard drive’s name from the list. Default is "Macintosh HD"

User uploaded file

Hope this helps!

Thanks,

Mark

do I really want to compress all my data?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.