Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Importing mp3 file to iTunes library

How do I import mp3 files with an .wpl extension into my iTunes library?

I have already tried going to the drop down menu on iTunes, selected "add file to library", selected the mp3 and hit "open" but, unfortunately, nothing happened.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Windows 7

Posted on Feb 13, 2016 2:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 13, 2016 3:04 PM

That is not an mp3 file, that is a file extension for a Windows Media Player playlist. You need to individualize the files and import them to iTunes that way. iTunes cannot handle the playlist file itself, but can handle individual mp3 files. Find those individual mp3 files on your Windows computer and then import them to iTunes that way.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 13, 2016 3:04 PM in response to ammarivoet

That is not an mp3 file, that is a file extension for a Windows Media Player playlist. You need to individualize the files and import them to iTunes that way. iTunes cannot handle the playlist file itself, but can handle individual mp3 files. Find those individual mp3 files on your Windows computer and then import them to iTunes that way.

Feb 13, 2016 3:26 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

Thanks so much for the really quick reply!

I understand what you're saying but I'm still stuck. When I downloaded the songs, I selected the mp3 version. In Windows, I go to "My Music" then to "Playlist". When I open the appropriate playlist, I see the two songs individually but with the .wpl extensions. How do I find these two files as or change them to mp3 files?

As you might have guessed, I am still very much a beginner in all of this! I really appreciate your help.

Feb 13, 2016 3:33 PM in response to ammarivoet

In Windows, don't go to Playlist. You should have a folder with the music in it. That location that you are looking at is the Playlist folder, so the songs are in that format. You should see the music somewhere else, either with the .wpa format, or the mp3 format, depending on how you got them to the computer. Try explaining how you downloaded the songs and got them on the computer. Also, what version of Windows are you using?

Feb 15, 2016 12:48 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

Hello again.

Sorry that I haven't replied sooner. This is the first chance that I've had to get back to the computer.

First of all, the version I am using is Windows 7 Home Premium.

I've tried to locate the song files in some place other than in the "Playlist" folder but I could not find them. If it might be helpful, here are the places that I searched:

From the start menu, I clicked on "Music". There I found: "My Music", "Public Music" (nothing under this), and "SyncUp" (nothing here).

In "My Music", there are only two folders "iTunes" and "Playlists" and a desktop.ini file.

The "Playlists" folder contains the two songs that we are discussing. That's all.

In the "iTunes" folder I searched through the following folders:

iTunes - iTunes Music - Music

iTunes - iTunes Music - Downloads

iTunes - iTunes Media - Music

I don't know where any other music files might be located.

Here's how I downloaded the songs.

On the website, there are a list of songs. For each song, you can click on "play", skip forward and backward, "mute", and adjust the volume. You can also click on "MP3 >>"

When I clicked on the "MP3>>", I get a small inset screen from Windows Media Player. A playlist is automatically created with that song (.wpl extension) in the "Playlist" folder under "My Music". I can select: "Save list", give the list a title, clear the list, "Play to", select options (I tried the "save as" and selected a different file type but with no success) and switch to library.

When I go to the "Playlists" folder in "My Music" I find and can play the song file.

Any advice would be appreciated. Again, thanks for your help and patience.

Feb 15, 2016 1:03 PM in response to ammarivoet

I'm guessing then that you are downloading these files from some website? Despite being a Windows user, all of my music is in iTunes, including what I rip from my own CDs. Seems the issue is the way these files are downloaded, since they are downloaded as a playlist file, not an actual mp3 file. Le me check a little bit further to see what can be done to covert the song to an mp3 on the computer.

While I keep looking, see if this helps. http://www.ehow.com/how_10040311_convert-wpl-files-mp3.html

This one seems to have better information. http://classroom.synonym.com/convert-wpl-mp3-21697.html

Feb 15, 2016 3:31 PM in response to ammarivoet

I don't know where any other music files might be located.

When I go to the "Playlists" folder in "My Music" I find and can play the song file.

Ammarivoet,

If you can play it, you can find it!

If it is playing in iTunes, right-click the track in iTunes and choose "Show in Windows Explorer."

If it is playing in Windows Media Player (which would not be surprising, since iTunes does not normally use the Playlists folder) right-click the track in Windows Media Player and choose "Open file location."

Either way you should immediately see the file.

Importing mp3 file to iTunes library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.