Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

install brain NirSoft found by Sophos.. over and over again

Hello everyone,

I have posted this question in the sophos community about 2 weeks ago and no answer yet. and is why I'm here.

For the past 3 to 4 weeks. Sophos AV has been finding "installbrain NirSoft" or just NirSoft. it supposedly cleans it up and either the same day or next day… is found again. Sophos doesn't show a pat to the infected file or a file name.

Any ideas? I know with a MAC there is very little risk of what a virus can do but most of my contacts use windows…

The laptop is a mid 2007 running 10.7.5 .. latest ver. of Sophos and Little Snitch.

Thanks in advance.

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Feb 13, 2016 3:13 PM

18 replies

Feb 13, 2016 5:58 PM in response to Allan Eckert

That is no longer truth. specially depending in what you do or use your system for.

the least that will happen.. is that virus that did not affect your mac.. will email itself to all your windows contacts…

And i'm sorry Allan Eckert.. but that is just wrong thinking. … Windows machines are going to be the majority for a while.. and is just a matter of time before someones figures out how to do the same to MAC's… and I bet you'll be one of the first ones to say… why are windows users being such a bunch of "what your acting like now" and don't help us MAC users.. ? …

The AV is free.. is not like you have to say it was way to expensive…

Feb 13, 2016 7:37 PM in response to Allan Eckert

I am not asking for freeware.. I am asking for a good AV for mac. price is not relevant.

Because of the sensitive use of my laptop. I can't afford the risk of not been ready when it happens. because it will happen. is just a matter of time. and that is if is not happening already. sophos seemed like a good bet. not because it was free.. but because it at least appears like they are for MACs.

I would not go with companies like Norton… they are just to invasive ..

Anyways.. I don't want to waste your time… and mine is precious. so we can stop the conversation here.

But.. if anyone else has any constructive input.. I would really appreciate it.

And I don't want to uninstall the AV.. so that the warnings stop. I want to get rid of the issue. not ignore it.. that would just be stupid.

Thank you.

Feb 13, 2016 7:47 PM in response to Allan Eckert

LIke I said in my previous post. and you just reaffirmed my concern.. just because there aren't any today.. is no guaranty that there won't be one later on today at midnight…. I can't afford that risk. even do I have 2 physical back ups and one online… my system is always working. updating files, downloading emails, updating websites… etc, etc, etc.. .I have one hardware firewall and one software firewall.. my main files are in few different external drives.. they are all PGP encrypted.. I am not playing around here… and I don't believe in the usual support from india… and that's one more reason why I rely in users input… most of the time… I get intelligent info.

Feb 13, 2016 8:01 PM in response to Allan Eckert

You might be right… but than again.. I figured.. the first real attack on a MAC is probably going to be on a MAC worth while. and I doubt that would be mine. that means that hopefully AV companies will have a short chance to update their firmware so that it doesn't affect the rest of us. .. is just like sex..

just because she looks healthy.. doesn't mean we shouldn't use protection… that is just ignorant.

Feb 13, 2016 8:32 PM in response to Allan Eckert

Even a rubber with a hole in it.. might provide more protection than none at all.. Or at least I won't feel as stupid for not even trying. ..

Don't get me wrong. .. my moving from windows to mac back in 05 was the best decision I have made when it comes to been connected.. ..

this baby is 9 years old.. and it hums.. the only upgrades it has is a little ram and a solid state HD… but she is not perfect.. and like I said.. I can't afford to be one of the first to get screwed.. not only that.. I don't want to be sending viruses to all my contacts.. and yes.. yes.. I know.. people should know better than just connect.. even people with a MAC have an issue learning or dealing with little snitch for a couple of weeks of use… and some of them even deserve a virus.. … but if I am going to give it to them.. I want it to be because I wanted to give it to them… and not because of my stupidity…

And this is not 100%…. but I believe is much better than your unwillingness to accept the possible…

Viruses, Trojans, Malware - and other aspects of Internet Security

yes, I know.. a lot of it would required for user acceptance or authorization… but believe it or not.. a lot of people still use America Online… yes… America Online.. the virus within the virus…

Feb 13, 2016 8:47 PM in response to ---In2Ndo---__

99% of the problem with Mac anti-virus is that if you hang around these forums long enough, you see time and time again that anti-virus packages are at the root of many users problems, and it does not matter which A/V vendor, they have all been the root of a problem (performance issue, kernel panics, blocking access to valid sites, etc...).

The A/V vendors write the packages for Windows, and then hack and slash their products into the Mac without truly understanding OS X, often times using undocumented APIs, or worse just reaching into the kernel without using appropriate kernel locking to access data structures, and then one day the the timing is just right, and boom, the user's Mac panics. Or the OS X kernel release changes, and what they are doing interferes with OS X normal operations slowing down OS X to terrible speeds.

If you want to run A/V solftware, then keep this in mind, especially every time you update/upgrade to a new OS X release, because that is when kernel changes happen, and the A/V packages get caught doing undocumented things in the kernel. Especially in later releases such as Yosemite and El Capitan.

As to getting Sophos warning message over and over again. Maybe you you should consider how helpful the Sophos forum was and use that as in indicator on how well this product is being supported on OS X. Or, since I do now know much about their forum, it is possible it too is only users that contribute there, and then that would say there are not a lot of Mac users participating. If that is the case, maybe you should be contacting Sophos support directly.

install brain NirSoft found by Sophos.. over and over again

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.