Related Article: Use your Siri Remote or Apple TV Remote with Apple TV

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My remote is not working - suggestions?

I cannot seem to get my apple remote to work. The apple airplay is working, but the 4th generation remote is not responding. Any suggestions on how to open it up to check a battery or problem solving??

AppleTV 2

Posted on Feb 13, 2016 2:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 13, 2016 2:50 PM

Welcome to the Apple Community.

1. Have you tried charging the remote. (do not try opening it up, it has a rechargeable battery, opening may void your warranty)
  2. Have you tried pressing the menu and up button for a few seconds while holding it an inch or two away from the Apple TV, if successful you should see an onscreen message saying the remote has been paired.
  3. If you have an older remote from an earlier model Apple TV or MacBook, you may be able to use it to restore the Apple TV which in many cases has been enough to re-enable the Siri remote. You will need to complete set up to undertake a restore.
  4. If you have a USB-C cable you can try restoring it by connecting it to iTunes on a computer.
  5. If you have tried all these steps, don't have an earlier remote or a USB-C cable or using them is too inconvenient, return it to the store from which you purchased it for a replacement.
2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 13, 2016 2:50 PM in response to debsterwoodard

Welcome to the Apple Community.

1. Have you tried charging the remote. (do not try opening it up, it has a rechargeable battery, opening may void your warranty)
  2. Have you tried pressing the menu and up button for a few seconds while holding it an inch or two away from the Apple TV, if successful you should see an onscreen message saying the remote has been paired.
  3. If you have an older remote from an earlier model Apple TV or MacBook, you may be able to use it to restore the Apple TV which in many cases has been enough to re-enable the Siri remote. You will need to complete set up to undertake a restore.
  4. If you have a USB-C cable you can try restoring it by connecting it to iTunes on a computer.
  5. If you have tried all these steps, don't have an earlier remote or a USB-C cable or using them is too inconvenient, return it to the store from which you purchased it for a replacement.

My remote is not working - suggestions?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.