Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Should I keep subscription to iTunes Match if i just subscribed to Apple Music? Why would I need both?

Not sure if it make sense to keep both subscriptions because I understand that with Apple Music you get iTunes Match. Is this correct?

iMac, OS X El Capitan (10.11.3)

Posted on Feb 13, 2016 2:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 13, 2016 3:26 PM

Apple Music and iTunes Match are very different.

This explains the differences.

iCloud Music Library: Understanding differences between Apple Music and iTunes Match - Apple Support

6 replies

Feb 13, 2016 4:23 PM in response to Yo Mix

One huge difference is what happens if you decide to cancel membership in the future.

With iTunes Match, you own all the songs. Assuming you have them downloaded onto a device at cancellation time, you may keep them.

With Apple Music, you do not own many of the songs. You do not get to keep them. Think of Apple Music being more like a lease - you get to listen to the songs as long as you pay your monthly "rent".

Feb 13, 2016 4:47 PM in response to sberman

thanks, this is very helpful. so since 99% of my music library is uploaded from cd's that i own, and very little is music i have purchased online, then it sounds like i don't really need iTunes Match subscription. i can listen to music 'leased' through Apple Music.

in my case, not sure why i would need to 'own' the music since i already own much of what i listen to.

how do i go about cancelling my iTunes Match subscription?

Should I keep subscription to iTunes Match if i just subscribed to Apple Music? Why would I need both?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.