Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to stop itunes from autofilling music onto my ipod touch

How do I stop itunes from autofilling unwanted music onto my ipod touch 5 without having to delete the songs or hide the songs (ones that I have purchased from iTunes's store) from my library on itunes (on Windows)? I think the songs that keep getting autofilled to my ipod are ones that I purchased from the store; I did not want to hide them in my library since I want to listen to them later to see if I want to eventually add them, but I got fed up and did just that. The reason I don't want to hide them from my library is because I want to be able to see without having to login to my apple account in the itunes store, to see what songs I purchased but have "hidden" from my library or deleted the download of.

I do not have sync music checked, yet, everytime I plug in my ipod to my computer, music still syncs to my ipod. I also do not have the option to automatically download songs that I purchased from iTunes's store checked. I usually manually delete each of the songs, but I'm tired of having to do that.

I just tried clearing my whole ipod of all of the music including ones I wanted to keep, but I ran into the problem where they wouldn't disappear even after resetting everything on my ipod touch; I had to manually delete them all (before doing this, I did what I always do when running into the autofill issue -- delete the music from the manage storage data settings, which normally works but this time it didn't).

I really am starting to hate Itunes because of this autofill problem.

iPod touch, iOS 5

Posted on Feb 13, 2016 4:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 13, 2016 4:57 PM

I'm on Windows and iTunes 11, for what it's worth, but I think this should work even if you have a slightly different version.

Before you plug in your iPod, go to the little menu deal in the top-left corner of iTunes (or if you have the menu bar visible, click Edit). Select preferences, go to Devices in the pop-up window, and check the box that says "Prevent iPods, iPhones, and iPads from syncing automatically". Click OK.at the bottom of the pop-up window.

That should fix the problem. Worked for me anyway (I'm like you and prefer to manually manage all my stuff ).

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 13, 2016 4:57 PM in response to Dunquixote1987

I'm on Windows and iTunes 11, for what it's worth, but I think this should work even if you have a slightly different version.

Before you plug in your iPod, go to the little menu deal in the top-left corner of iTunes (or if you have the menu bar visible, click Edit). Select preferences, go to Devices in the pop-up window, and check the box that says "Prevent iPods, iPhones, and iPads from syncing automatically". Click OK.at the bottom of the pop-up window.

That should fix the problem. Worked for me anyway (I'm like you and prefer to manually manage all my stuff ).

Feb 13, 2016 5:57 PM in response to SquirrelWatcher

I found that (thanks for pointing that out :]), but I just ran into more problems. ><. while I was trying to put some more songs into my library that I had hidden previously, to keep from being added to my ipod; my ipod which was supposed to have nothing on it after choosing to delete all of the songs on it, now has a bunch of songs. I just hid them again, which solves only part of the issue; even though I was going to put most of the other songs on my ipod anyways, it doesn't make sense to why it shows my ipod having no music on my itunes and says there's no music data stored on my ipod in the general settings, under manage storage. I don't have the option checked that allows all of my purchases to automatically be shown on my ipod. I want to start over the transferring the songs to my ipod, but I can't use the manage music data and delete it since it shows there is no music data on it even though there are songs showing in my ipod library on the device. Resetting the device didn't work either and I'm tired of manually deleting them. I'm going to make an appointment with apple maybe next week if I can't figure this out. If anyone has an answer on how to prevent my songs from automatically showing up on my ipod and have them show up when I manually drag them there, please let me know. Thanks SquirrelWatcher for your time to answer my question; I really appreciate it. 🙂

how to stop itunes from autofilling music onto my ipod touch

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.