Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ready to play in 1 minute FOREVER

A quick background. I just bought a new AppleTV because my old one (3 yrs old) was crashing all the time. Literally, restarted in the middle of a show or movie.

So, I set this thing up, after a very un-Apple-like setup procedure where nothing really worked quite as seamless as expected (bluetooth took three tries, Home sharing two tries, etc.). I rented a movie and started to watch. Watched half and decided to watch the rest the next day.

On the next day, I select Resume and it says "ready to play in 1 minute"; except it stays like that FOREVER. I have tried restarting, unplugging, even restoring and setting up the bloody thing again. Guess what... NOTHING. It ALWAYS says ready to play in 1 minute.

Why didn't it save what was downloaded yesterday?

Why can't it figure out how much time we REALLY have to wait?

My rental time is almost up and I can't watch the freaking thing!

More importantly... why doesn't it just work!

Update.... after a system update, two hours of waiting, it started playing from the beginning (not resume) but now without AUDIO.

Unbelievable. I hate "smart" devices that can't even do the basics.

Posted on Feb 13, 2016 3:12 PM

3 replies

Feb 13, 2016 4:06 PM in response to Winston Churchill

Well, EVERYTHING else works fine. Netflix on laptop, network gaming, XBox, ftp, Sonos, etc. So, if I have to have a very unique, unspecified, very peculiar setting for AppleTV to work, then the problem is AppleTV, not my setup.

And, this thing is far from reliable. The only way I got this to work was to start the movie from the beginning and NOT forward to any part of the movie. At one point I paused, when un-pausing... guess what? 2 hours and 30 minutes to play even though it shows most of the movie has downloaded. This is software, not connection.

I have spent the better part of the afternoon trying to get this thing to work. The time left on my rental will expire before I can watch the movie. I would sue Apple for the $5 just out of spite!

Ready to play in 1 minute FOREVER

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.