Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Invisible BootCamp Partition I can't access nor delete!

So to start with, I'm trying to install Windows 10 from a usb onto my computer with bootcamp (i use OS X elcappitan). So i followed the normal steps to install windows 10 through bootcamp like getting the iso file onto my usb (which is 8gb) and making the partition for it. But after going through this process, (and once i open up the windows 10 installer) i get to the part where you have to choose your partition to install windows 10 on and i don't see the "BOOTCAMP" partition there.

User uploaded file

So i cancel the setup and return back to my main user and when i enter Disk utility, EVEN THERE, i don't see the partition Bootcamp made for me! It stinks because i put a good 90GB out of my 500GB hard drive into this partition.

One thing is that when my bootcamp was just about finished the creation of this partition, i got a message for a split second saying something like "Your mac has/is restarted unexpectedly" or "for no reason". It wasn't there long so i didn't catch everything but i feel like maybe my mac restarted for "some reason" during the last seconds of the creation of the partition thus making the partition incomplete and/or currupt? If so, and because of this my 90GB partition is invisible, how would I be able to find it and remove it to do a fresh reinstall?

This is how my main hard drive looks atm... its literally saying that my Macintosh HD occupies 100% of my 500GB hard drive, yet when you look at how much it actually occupies, it says it only occupies 409.53GB of space! This proves that the Bootcamp partition is STILL taking up space on my hard drive but at the same time, not showing it. My main goal would be just to remove this 90GB bootcamp partition entirely.

User uploaded file

Im very annoyed with this and have basically spent an ENTIRE DAY trying to fix it myself with other, similar, online solutions. I hope someone could give me a solution or even just something to try to do to fix this :/

Thanks for reading my report.

- Adam

MacBook Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11.2), null

Posted on Feb 13, 2016 3:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 17, 2016 1:23 PM

The quickest, simplest and safest alternative method to get your disk space back is

1. Backup OSX and all your files - Use Time Machine to back up or restore your Mac - Apple Support .

2. Boot into Internet Recovery (Command+Opt+R) - OS X: About OS X Recovery - Apple Support .

3. Click on Utilties -> Disk Utility and Erase your internal whole disk.

4. Restore OSX and your files - Use Time Machine to back up or restore your Mac - Apple Support .

This requires a separate external disk which can accommodate TM backup - Backup disks you can use with Time Machine - Apple Support .

It takes quite some time doing it this way, but it is less labour-intensive compared to the diskutil methods.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 17, 2016 1:23 PM in response to Zoruzero

The quickest, simplest and safest alternative method to get your disk space back is

1. Backup OSX and all your files - Use Time Machine to back up or restore your Mac - Apple Support .

2. Boot into Internet Recovery (Command+Opt+R) - OS X: About OS X Recovery - Apple Support .

3. Click on Utilties -> Disk Utility and Erase your internal whole disk.

4. Restore OSX and your files - Use Time Machine to back up or restore your Mac - Apple Support .

This requires a separate external disk which can accommodate TM backup - Backup disks you can use with Time Machine - Apple Support .

It takes quite some time doing it this way, but it is less labour-intensive compared to the diskutil methods.

Invisible BootCamp Partition I can't access nor delete!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.