Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Setting AirPort as separate network

Hey, i'm trying to set up my Airport Express as a separate network. Right now it is connected to my WiFi Modem, but anyone connected to the WiFi on the modem can access anything connected on the Airport network.

Is there any way to make the Airport inaccessible to people connected to the Wifi on my ISP modem.

Thanks

iMac, OS X El Capitan (10.11.1)

Posted on Feb 13, 2016 4:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 13, 2016 9:09 PM

On the iMac.......

Open AirPort Utility (Finder > Applications > Utilities > AirPort Utility)

Click on the picture of the AirPort Express

Click Edit in the smaller window that appears

Click the Network tab at the top of the next window

Change the setting for Router Mode to read DHCP and NAT

Click Update at the lower right of the window and allow a full minute for the AirPort to restart

Power off both the "main" router and the AirPort Express

Wait a minute

Power up the main router and let it run a full minute

Then, power up the AirPort Express

The indicator light on the AirPort Express will be blinking amber slowly, but do not worry about this at this time

Check the AirPort Express and other network to verify that devices on one network cannot "see" devices on the other network

Keep an eye on things for a few hours. If all seems, to be well, you can tell the AirPort Express to ignore the Double NAT error that it is complaining about, so that it will display a green light

Double NAT can cause slow growing, no browsing, difficult connecting from a remote location and other things,but you might be able to get away with the Double NAT on a simple network. Try it and see how it works for you.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 13, 2016 9:09 PM in response to Konisegg1

On the iMac.......

Open AirPort Utility (Finder > Applications > Utilities > AirPort Utility)

Click on the picture of the AirPort Express

Click Edit in the smaller window that appears

Click the Network tab at the top of the next window

Change the setting for Router Mode to read DHCP and NAT

Click Update at the lower right of the window and allow a full minute for the AirPort to restart

Power off both the "main" router and the AirPort Express

Wait a minute

Power up the main router and let it run a full minute

Then, power up the AirPort Express

The indicator light on the AirPort Express will be blinking amber slowly, but do not worry about this at this time

Check the AirPort Express and other network to verify that devices on one network cannot "see" devices on the other network

Keep an eye on things for a few hours. If all seems, to be well, you can tell the AirPort Express to ignore the Double NAT error that it is complaining about, so that it will display a green light

Double NAT can cause slow growing, no browsing, difficult connecting from a remote location and other things,but you might be able to get away with the Double NAT on a simple network. Try it and see how it works for you.

Feb 21, 2016 6:12 PM in response to Konisegg1

What do you mean as in it is not very good security?

I meant exactly what I said above referring to the Double NAT setup. Anyone who knows anything about Apple routers would have no trouble at all finding and accessing devices on the "other" network. A casual user who does not understand anything about IP addresses would not be able to access the "other" network.

The Double NAT setup would not pass any type of corporate security tests, but might be OK for casual use with casual users.

Setting AirPort as separate network

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.