Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why do I get the message "iTunes could not back up the iPhone "x" because the iPhone disconnected."

I frequently get this message when I plug in my iPhone 6 to my MacBook Pro, i can sometimes get it to work by disconnecting the phone from the USB cable, closing all the apps on the phone, restarting iTunes on the Mac, and the plugging the phone cable back in. Manually hitting the Back Up Now button in iTunes will usually result in a back up. But this should be a simple thing ... plug in the phone via cable, iTunes backs up the phone and completes a sync. Why not?

All my software is up to date. Details:

• MacBook Pro (Retina mid 2012}
  • OS X 10.11.3
  • iTunes version 12.3.2.35
  • iOS 9.2.1

15 in. MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.3)

Posted on Feb 13, 2016 5:00 PM

There are no replies.

Why do I get the message "iTunes could not back up the iPhone "x" because the iPhone disconnected."

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.