Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 6 iOS 9.2.1 won't restore

I was scrolling through Twitter when I saw a post stating that if I set my iPhone's time back to January 1, 1970, and reset it using the home and power buttons, the apple logo would be displayed as the original, multi-colored apple logo with "Think Differently" displaying under it. So i followed the instructions since I had nothing to do (at this point, my phone was working fine and there were no problems). I awaited the original logo, but all I got was the normal white one with the black screen. The start up was taking significantly longer than normal as it normally turns on after a minute at most, but this time it has been stuck at the apple logo for about 5 minutes. Then to my amazement, the colors reversed and it was a white screen with a black apple logo, something that many articles on safari claim is the "white iPhone screen of death." The display alternated between the black screen and white screen about every 2 minutes, but never turned on. I put it into DFU mode and connected it to iTunes so that I could update it and not lose any data on my phone. However, I clicked on update even though I believe my iOS was already at 9.2.1. Everything worked fine during the update, so I thought it would work, but it only came back to the alternating screens. I decided to try restoring it from DFU mode through iTunes. It verified the restoration with apple, and got through a status bar. It is still at the black screen with the white apple logo, and another status bar has appeared under it. It has been at this point for about an hour and a half, but the status bar hasn't filled up at all, and the phone disconnected from iTunes because my phone "timed out" even though I haven't disconnected its cord. I believe the restoration process has restarted itself several times because the unfilled status bar disappears about every 20 minutes or less, and then reappears after about a minute. I read that the more data is on your device, the longer it takes to restore, and I had about 50gb stored on my 64gb iPhone 6, but like I said the status bar hasn't ever filled up at all. What should I do?

iPhone 6, iOS 9.2.1

Posted on Feb 13, 2016 5:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 14, 2016 6:13 AM

This has been addressed here multiple times. Some have reported that a DFU mode restore fixes it. Some have had to take their phone to the genius bar to have it fixed.

There is some evidence indicating that you may be able to successfully restore using DFU mode by waiting until your time zone passes midnight relative to GMT and when you restored it. For example, The time zone I'm in is GMT-5. If I borked my phone right now by pulling this stunt, it's possible that if I let it sit for at least 5 hours, when the clock has enough time to roll past midnight GMT, I may be able to successfully get it working again with a DFU restore after that.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 14, 2016 6:13 AM in response to tregranada

This has been addressed here multiple times. Some have reported that a DFU mode restore fixes it. Some have had to take their phone to the genius bar to have it fixed.

There is some evidence indicating that you may be able to successfully restore using DFU mode by waiting until your time zone passes midnight relative to GMT and when you restored it. For example, The time zone I'm in is GMT-5. If I borked my phone right now by pulling this stunt, it's possible that if I let it sit for at least 5 hours, when the clock has enough time to roll past midnight GMT, I may be able to successfully get it working again with a DFU restore after that.

Feb 13, 2016 8:11 PM in response to tregranada

There is actually another way. I can't confirm the validity because I don't intend on duplicating the problem again but I have my old iphone 5s and all I did was put the thing in DFU mode which alone did not work and while it was still continuously rebooting I changed sim cards. Rebooted and the restore kicks in. Try it and tell me what happens.

iPhone 6 iOS 9.2.1 won't restore

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.