Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Speed degrades with Airport Extreme

Hello,

I have an Airport Extreme and need to extend the wireless range to improve the signal - so I added an Airport Express. Setup was simple and I did not encounter any issues. Firmware is up to date on both units.

When it is connected the signal strength is full but overall wireless performance decreases as time goes on. I have a 100GB cable connection. At times it will get between 75GB and 100GB but most of the time it is in the 20-29GB range. When the Apple Express is connected it may drop below 10GB.

I had the provider come out and check the signal from the street into my house and they contend the signal is fine. I read multiple posts suggesting changing the 2.4Ghz channel from 11 to 1 so I did that. 5Ghz running at 149.

Should I reconfigure the network so the Express is the primary unit connected to the Arris SB6121? Then set up an extended network with the Extreme? Or any other suggestions?

Thank you

null-OTHER, Airport Extreme

Posted on Feb 13, 2016 6:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 13, 2016 8:19 PM

Extend wireless will cause dramatic wireless slow down.. that is part and parcel of what extend wireless does because of the design.

Plus the Express is a slow device.. it is not in the same league as the Extreme.. its absolute max speed by ethernet is 100mbit. So it is barely usable even as the main router.

I doubt swapping roles of express and extreme will help although it may solve another issue.

The latest airport extreme ie the Gen6 tall model is not compatible with SB6121 cable modem. There is nothing wrong with either of them .. they just don't work together. So do have a try of just the express.. but do not wireless extend with the Extreme.. use ethernet or use EOP (called homeplug in US) ethernet over power adapters.. which may or may not work.. but when they do are far superior to wireless extend setup.

Just happens to be another post 3 down.. this is a common problem.

Airport Extreme & Motorola Surfboard SB6121

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 13, 2016 8:19 PM in response to casper2112

Extend wireless will cause dramatic wireless slow down.. that is part and parcel of what extend wireless does because of the design.

Plus the Express is a slow device.. it is not in the same league as the Extreme.. its absolute max speed by ethernet is 100mbit. So it is barely usable even as the main router.

I doubt swapping roles of express and extreme will help although it may solve another issue.

The latest airport extreme ie the Gen6 tall model is not compatible with SB6121 cable modem. There is nothing wrong with either of them .. they just don't work together. So do have a try of just the express.. but do not wireless extend with the Extreme.. use ethernet or use EOP (called homeplug in US) ethernet over power adapters.. which may or may not work.. but when they do are far superior to wireless extend setup.

Just happens to be another post 3 down.. this is a common problem.

Airport Extreme & Motorola Surfboard SB6121

Feb 13, 2016 8:24 PM in response to LaPastenague

Thank you for the quick and specific reply. Your answer is about what I expected.

I actually ran EOP a year or so ago. Worked really well for about the time the units were under warranty (NetGear). Then they failed. hard. They get physically hot to the touch. maybe we should expect as much since electricity was not expecting to host these devices. Maybe technology is better today. Maybe I just need to budget buying two every 12 months and ' shut up and be happy with it'. For those of us who remember 56K modem dial up over AOL it is not such a high price to pay. 🙂

Thank you again!

ak

Feb 13, 2016 11:32 PM in response to casper2112

I have to say wireless or EOP are stopgaps until you can run ethernet.

Ethernet properly installed is expensive to do but if you own the house do it once right and you won't have it break down in 12 months.

As with everything that offers the quick and dirty fix.. it got more dirty than fix.. !!

Certainly I would expect 3years out of any electronics turned on 24/7. There are better brands than the netgear, with longer warranties so have a hunt around if you still need quick and dirty.

When you do wireless extend or any kind of wireless, keep expectations low.. and it will then be achievable.

This is a rather older article but when I read it.. I just wish it was better promoted and perhaps revised to include all the latest super range AC beam forming trot.

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/basics/wireless-basics/31576-the-best-way-to-get- whole-house-wireless-coverage

Speed degrades with Airport Extreme

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.