Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Merging 2 iTunes libraries - one from old pc and one on a new iMac

HHello everybody,

hope led someone is able to help with this one.

I'm trying to transfer the iTunes library from an old windows pc to a new iMac.

It got tricky, because the pc has been and is still the host computer for an iPad, while the new iMac has already been connected to an iPhone. Both iOS devices have the same account, which means that backing up the iPhone to the imac has already resulted in a library thats very similar to the one on the old pc. But of course the iMac won't accept full connection with the iPad.

So, I want to merge the two libraries, but am afraid to loose critical data.

SO far I have consolidated the library on the pc and copied it to an external usb drive. What do you suppose as a next step?

iTunes has been updated to latest version on both systems before consolidation.

THanks for your help!

iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2013), OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Feb 13, 2016 6:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 15, 2016 10:06 PM

Hi,Keywan Bayegan.

Thank you for visiting Apple Support Communities.

I understand you want to move your iTunes library from your old computer to your new iMac. There are a couple ways that this can be accomplished. Here is the step-by-step guide that covers all the different options of relocating your iTunes library. You will just need to select the best method that works for you.

How to move your iTunes library to a new computer

Hope this helps.

Cheers

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 15, 2016 10:06 PM in response to Keywan Bayegan

Hi,Keywan Bayegan.

Thank you for visiting Apple Support Communities.

I understand you want to move your iTunes library from your old computer to your new iMac. There are a couple ways that this can be accomplished. Here is the step-by-step guide that covers all the different options of relocating your iTunes library. You will just need to select the best method that works for you.

How to move your iTunes library to a new computer

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Feb 15, 2016 10:14 PM in response to jason269

Hi jason269,

that's exactly what I did after I suspected everybody was bored by my question.

So thank you anyway, I appreciate your help.

So far I have successfully managed to merge the two libraries, but haven't yet had time to connect to the two iOS devices to see if they are "recognized" and "accepted". A short comment on the merging process - everything went fine, but iTunes, after a while, kept asking what to do with older mobile apps and whether to keep the newer or the older versions. I found that theres a folder deep in the iTunes folder comprising all files and stuff that were NOT merged or could not be merged. I had to take those files out of that folder, after that iTunes stopped asking the questions.

Merging 2 iTunes libraries - one from old pc and one on a new iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.