Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie and moving projects to flash drive

I was able to move the library from iMovie to a 64GB flash drive but not the movie itself so I can play it in other places. i'm on a Macbook pro early 2011 running El Capitan and using latest version of iMovie.

thx

Posted on Feb 13, 2016 8:00 PM

10 replies

Feb 14, 2016 8:36 AM in response to GeeD

Yes, the already shared movie. I shared it to my desktop and was trying to move it onto the flash drive. It's reading that it's too large, but it isn't according to the GB. I think I have 32 left on the flash drive and the movie is 11. Maybe I should be moving it to the flash drive in a different way??

Feb 14, 2016 4:08 PM in response to GeeD

I tried, but I get this message: The item “2013 VIDEO SHOW.mp4” can’t be copied because it is too large for the volume's format. The library was 7GB and the movie itself is 11GB. I was told by an apple rep that in order to play the movie on any system, other than a mac, I would need to copy the library over. I did that....it worked....but it does not play on my smart tv via a flash drive. I guess this is actually two different issues.

Feb 14, 2016 4:19 PM in response to JP35

Ah! I think it's because your flash drive is FAT- formatted, some versions of which have a maximum file size less than 11 GB. You need to reformat it either EX-FAT http://www.howtogeek.com/235596/whats-the-difference-between-fat32-exfat-and-ntf s/

or Apple extended. Ex FAT is best if you want it to be recognised on Windows PCs as well as Macs. You can do this with Disk Utility - see: Disk Utility (El Capitan): Partition a physical disk

You will have to copy your data on the drive somewhere else temporarily since re-formatting the drive will erase all files on it.

Geoff.

Feb 14, 2016 5:55 PM in response to JP35

Geoff:

Awesome! This is working so far. It's copying. I'll check it when it's done to make sure, but I think that was it. In El Capitan you can't click on partition. You have to click on Erase and then go from there....you can choose Ex-Fat when you go through the steps.

Thx again so much!

Judy

Feb 15, 2016 9:52 AM in response to JP35

You'd have to look at the manual for the TV to find out what format drives and videos it can handle. You could probably connect your computer to the TV as a monitor and play the video that way.

By the way it is not necessary to have the iMovie library on the drive in order to play a shared movie - the movie once shared is a stand-alone file. Its just possible that the presence of the library is upsetting the TV.

Geoff.

Feb 15, 2016 10:14 AM in response to GeeD

I'll have to look at the tv info.

Huh...the apple rep told me to play the movie on any type of computer, other than a mac, I would need the library, but only the movie to play on any mac since it was made from iMovie......but, now that you say that, it downloaded from iMovie to a Quicktime movie...so yes, I see what it would work w/o the library.

Ok...I will try that. Thank you again.

Yeah, I want to be able to bring the flash drive and not the computer to play it on a tv...ya know.

Thx again for all of the hints...i'm going to check it out! I appreciate your help!

Judy

iMovie and moving projects to flash drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.