Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Pictures missing

I Had a iPhone 6 which broke and I use iCloud for backup. The new iPhone 6 is missing some of my pictures that I have taken throughout the years. Is there any way to recover these pictures.

iPhone 6, iOS 9.2.1

Posted on Feb 13, 2016 8:28 PM

5 replies

Feb 14, 2016 1:14 PM in response to Jwswick

When you turn iCloud photo library on, you no longer have a camera roll on your phone. The cloud is effectively your camera roll.

If you turn on the photo library on your new phone, your photos should return over time, as they have to download from the cloud to your phone. The restore from iCloud would not have included your photos, as they were being stored in the photo library. Those are 2 separate "things"

How many photos did you have? If you sign in to iCloud.com and look at the Photos icon, do you see your photos there?

Feb 15, 2016 4:42 AM in response to Jwswick

Whilst you always back up to iCloud, this back up doesn't necessarily include your photos. Whether it does or not depends on whether you were using the camera roll or not, only the camera roll is backed up.

If you were using iCloud photos instead, your photos should be reloaded to the new phone from the iCloud photo library in the cloud rather than from the back up. You can see what photos you have in your iCloud Photo Library at iCloud.com> Photos in a web browser on a computer.

The real issue is if you were using photo stream only. Photo stream isn't backed up, photo stream in the cloud only keeps photos for 30 days, so if you restore and rely on photo stream you will only get your last 30 days photos back.

Feb 17, 2016 8:31 AM in response to Winston Churchill

Hello...

I am have a similar issue except that the above steps you mentioned make no difference in locating missing photos. My issue is that I recently purchased a new ipad and signed into icloud to restore all of my icloud photos to the ipad (like I have several times before). In icloud, all of my folders for albums are still there - but they're blank. On my ipad, it downloads the almost 500 photos, but they're all blank with little clouds at the bottom right corner. It's seeing only around 12 or so of the almost 500 photos - but icloud.com is only showing 81 total photos. I have NO clue what is going since every time I've done this before it's been seamless. I'd also like to add that restoring these photos goes back a while, so I'm not victim to the store in camera roll vs icloud thing I've seen mentioned... my photos were backed up to the point that they had albums uploaded. I'd also like to add that the first time I tried to restore the photos on my new ipad that rather than the cloud icon at the bottom right there were several low res photos and an i with a circle icon, and now that's gone... any help is much appreciated - I'm not exactly sure how they could be there and then just vanish when I've touched/deleted/etc nothing.

Pictures missing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.