Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Late 2011 MacBook Pro won't boot into anything....?

Earlier today, my 2011 MacBook Pro's screen glitched out and froze while I was using it, forcing me to shut it off and restart. It happened a couple more times over several hours, but each time it was fine after I restarted it. I figured it was an issue with the display that was manageable and I could get fixed sometime soon Since it happened last, it has not been able to boot properly. I have tried resetting SMC, PRAM, booting into safe mode, recovery mode, Internet recovery mode, and both my OS X and Windows partitions. None of these have fixed the problem, and on each start-up I'm left with a white screen or blue/black striped screen. Each time, the logo appears, the loading circle appears, as if it would started up normally, but then the screen just goes blank. After a few moments, the fan will begin to run at full power.

The only sort of message I have received from anything was on my windows partition, where it says there has been a problem with my pc and it is going to restart. Does this sound like a video/display issue or is it likely that my hard drive is dead after 5 years of consistent use? Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated!!

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.4), Late 2011

Posted on Feb 13, 2016 10:29 PM

1 reply

Feb 13, 2016 10:32 PM in response to amgallant15

Welcome to Apple Support Communities

If you have got a 15-inch MacBook Pro, that's a known issue. A lot of users have complained about that behavior in their MacBooks Pro, which turned out to be a GPU issue, so Apple launched a free replacement program -> https://www.apple.com/support/macbookpro-videoissues/.

You only have to take the Mac to an Apple Store or reseller to get it repaired. You should already have a backup of your files.

Late 2011 MacBook Pro won't boot into anything....?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.