Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Increase max volume when Sound Check is enabled

If Sound Check is disabled, the volumes of some mp3 files are too high, and some too low.

If I enable Sound Check, volumes seem to be normalised. But the problem is that the maximum volume is not loud enough, as if all volumes were lowered to be the same volume.

Is there any way to increase the maximum volume of iTunes when Sound Check is enabled. If there is no such way, please tell me so.

Note: I am looking for a way to that with iTunes' settings; I DON'T want the following workarounds:

• Increase the system volume or the speakers' volume (other sounds from other applications become too loud)
  • Modify mp3 files themselves (I have to do that again and again for each new file)

MacBook, OS X El Capitan (10.11.3)

Posted on Feb 13, 2016 8:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 16, 2016 5:37 AM

I don't have access to iTunes 11 or 12 right now to look for this. In iTunes 10 there is an equalizer choice that also includes a volume setting that increases the volume of the iTunes application. If you want to make all your songs louder for all apps, use iVolume to increase the volume of all the songs. iVolume will also match the volume of all songs, making them all the same volume. All apps recognize the adjustments made by iVolume. But be warned that iVolume will add to the comments "adjusted by iVolume on date" unless you uncheck that option.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 16, 2016 5:37 AM in response to YourGod

I don't have access to iTunes 11 or 12 right now to look for this. In iTunes 10 there is an equalizer choice that also includes a volume setting that increases the volume of the iTunes application. If you want to make all your songs louder for all apps, use iVolume to increase the volume of all the songs. iVolume will also match the volume of all songs, making them all the same volume. All apps recognize the adjustments made by iVolume. But be warned that iVolume will add to the comments "adjusted by iVolume on date" unless you uncheck that option.

Feb 16, 2016 5:39 AM in response to Tracy Reynolds

Thank you. In the Equaliser there was "Preamp". I think it is close to what I wanted. A perfect solution would be an option to tell iTunes to normalise mp3 songs to specific volume level I choose, not automatically to the lowest volume.

The only bad thing of the Equaliser is that it also increases the volume of Internet Radio which is already loud compared to mp3 songs.

Increase max volume when Sound Check is enabled

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.