Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Tivo app not playing nice with Airport Express

Service is ATT U-Verse with Pace 3800HGV-B modem/router which with b/g wifi. Airport Express (MC414LL / A1392) 'n' access point plugs into 3800. Cisco gig switch plugs into Express. Tivo Bolt plugs into switch.

Express is configured for DHCP with IP range that doesn't conflict with the 3800, and with 5 GHz network enabled. The 5 GHz network is selected on the phone.

Tivo's wifi is not used, turned off.

I get 8 mbps speed test from phone to the internet. The phone shows 150 mbps "link" (5GHz) to the Airport Express.

Streaming video from Hulu, Netflix, et. al. (using browser on the phone) is smooth and trouble-free. But when I try to stream video from the TiVo to the Tivo app on the phone all I get is stuttering video/audio. Usually it's instant when I start playing a video, but sometimes it plays fine for as much as 20 or 30 seconds before stuttering.

The Tivo app can control the Tivo Bolt without issue. It's only when playing a video from the Bolt that is less-than-stellar (to understate).

Inconceivably, TiVo tech support says that the cause is the 2wire 3800HGV-B router. But neither the wireless signal nor the ethernet stream go through the '3800, does it? The path is from TiVo -> switch -> Airport and to the phone. AND streaming video from web sites (i.e., Netflix) goes through the '3800 smoothly. I don't see how the '3800 is involved at all.

I really want to figure out what is the culprit in this setup. Any observations, suggestions or help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Airport Express-OTHER

Posted on Feb 13, 2016 10:24 PM

8 replies

Feb 14, 2016 1:33 PM in response to Tesserax

A TIvo is a digital video recorder to record programs from your cable service or antenna. Videos are stored on HD in the Tivo appliance and can be streamed to your smartphone, tablet or other portable device using Tivo's proprietary app. The app will also act as a remote control to control the Tivo's programming.

In my setup the Tivo is networked to the LAN via Ethernet. (The Tivo does have wireless capability but I don't use it.)

Video streaming is from Tivo appliance to the smart phone via Airport Express. The unknown variable is whether or not the 2wire 3800 router is involved in this path (see setup description in OP) hence my post. The Express is acting as DHCP router for the Tivo so in my mind the streaming path is not through the 3800. Looking for confirmation or correction on this point.

Feb 14, 2016 2:47 PM in response to NoPod

Video streaming is from Tivo appliance to the smart phone via Airport Express. The unknown variable is whether or not the 2wire 3800 router is involved in this path (see setup description in OP) hence my post.

I understand that you have the AirPort Express connected back to the 2Wire router by Ethernet from your original post. I also assumed that you configured the Express for "DHCP Only" ... correct? If so, then this mode was designed to distribute a range of public IP addresses from the ISP to your local network. The base station's NAT service would be disabled. Regardless the Express would still be connected to the 2Wire for Internet access.

Typically when you have an AirPort base station connected back to another router via Ethernet, they would configured for a roaming style network. Both devices would broadcast a Wi-Fi network but use the same network name (aka SSID), and use the same wireless security type & password. This way any wireless network client would only "see" one network to connect to. I also understand that you are not using a wireless connection for the TiVo, so I know that this type of connection is not important.

Which leads me to ask. Why are you using the Express in DHCP only mode?

Feb 14, 2016 3:05 PM in response to Tesserax

I'm marginally understanding your description of my configuration (I'm marginally savvy about these network things).

I can say that the Airport is "double-NATted" (the Airport is configured as Router Mode: "DHCP and NAT"). The reason is to make the Tivo go only to the Airport for streaming pathway and not to the 2wire 3800. This is an attempt to eliminate the 3800 from the formula to determine if it is the culprit of my problem (jerky video/audio from the Tivo device to the phone).

If you need more answers just ask.

Thanks.

Feb 14, 2016 3:24 PM in response to NoPod

Ok, I now understand your network configuration better. As you know a "double NAT" condition would allow you to create a "subnet" behind your AirPort base station so clients connected to this device would have a different range of IP addresses. That would also prevent clients on different subnets from "seeing" each other. What it does not do is prevent clients on the Express' subnet from going upstream to the 2Wire gateway for Internet access.

The questions I have now are:

• Did you name the Express's wireless network different from that being provided by the 2Wire?
  • When you connect your Phone, are you connecting it the the Express' or 2Wire's Wi-Fi network when you attempt to stream from the TiVo to the phone.

Feb 14, 2016 4:00 PM in response to NoPod

I am assuming that the media source is on the TiVo's internal hard drive. I'm also assuming that the phone is in the same room as the Express. With that, the path should be a request to stream from the phone through the AirPort to the TiVo and vice versa. There shouldn't be any traffic going to the 2Wire. Only a packet trace can verify that, but it seems logical in that is what is happening.

The potential issue now is the signal quality of your AirPort's Wi-Fi network for the connection between the phone & the Express. If you disable both cellular & bluetooth on phone (not sure which phone you have) so you only have a wireless connection, does this help any?

Feb 14, 2016 5:08 PM in response to Tesserax

Problem identified!

Just this afternoon a friend dropped by and I asked him to connect to the Tivo. (I have an Android phone, he an iPhone 6.)

He has no problem with the video: it's smooth and uninterrupted as it should be for me.

I have tried 9 ways from Sunday to configure the network and phone to rule out every possibility. I even bought the Airport as a possible resolution.

Yes bluetooth and cellular network are turned off and I connect to the Airport's 5GHz signal. Video is jittery as ****. It's been this way since I installed the Tivo app. The weird part: I can watch Netflix, YouTube, and any other streaming video on this phone and have no problems. So I am guessing that the Tivo app is trying to render a huge resolution that is overkill for my modest screen which is taxing the video hardware and dragging down performance.

I'll reinstall the OS on the phone and see if maybe that clears it up.

Thanks for your help.

Cheers.

Tivo app not playing nice with Airport Express

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.