Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AirPlay issues...

So, here is my issue:

Apple music streamed via AirPlay to Apple TV. Connection drops way too much. However, if I stream Pandora, Spotify, or Amazon music, with the same devices, the connection never drops and it starts instantly (unlike with Apple Music, which seems to take at least 30 seconds or more to get going).

What is going on here? So very frustrating! I love Apple Music, when it works, but,I am this close to saying goodbye to it. Any pointers?

thanks...

Posted on Feb 13, 2016 10:22 PM

13 replies

Feb 15, 2016 7:42 AM in response to Winston Churchill

Music plays great from all devices, never an issue. The only issue is while using Apple Music, and AirPlay to Apple TV. It drops...a lot.

I don't have the same dropping issues if I am using Pandora, Amazon music, or Spotify (with everything else being the same), just Apple Music.

Quite frustrating because all my music is Apple, and I really want to figure this out...

thanks again!

Feb 16, 2016 8:16 AM in response to Winston Churchill

WHen I said "everything else being the same" I meant I am attempting to stream in the exact same way, I realize they are all different!

ANyway, music from Apple TV works fine, the issue is when I stream only. This problem started when Apple took away the radio option from my Apple TV. Now I must stream from my iPhone if I am listening to a radio station that I created in Apple Music.

Feb 16, 2016 8:23 AM in response to vmette72

vmette72 wrote:

WHen I said "everything else being the same" I meant I am attempting to stream in the exact same way, I realize they are all different!

Maybe I'm wrong, but I was under the impression it isn't the same way. I was under the impression that when you try to AirPlay content that you have purchased, it is streamed directly from the iTunes store to the Apple TV.

Feb 16, 2016 8:52 AM in response to Winston Churchill

look, I am using the same equipment when I attempt to stream music. I don't give a sh*t how the stream works. I just find it interesting that it all worked fine, right up until the last Apple update that took away the radio option from my Apple TV, because Apple wants me to buy the new Apple TV. Pandora works, Spotify works, Amazon music works, iheartmusic works. They all work with streaming, AirPlay, etc. except Apple, the one app that should work flawlessly.

Feb 16, 2016 8:57 AM in response to vmette72

I'm unable to replicate your issue, the most likely cause is something on your side of things. The fact that the stream works differently (assuming it does) is vitally important in troubleshooting the problem.

However I can see that you would rather rant than accept it's something to do with your network, so I'll leave you to get on with it.

Feb 17, 2016 9:23 AM in response to vmette72

I have exactly the same issue, vmette72.

To my Apple TV 3rd generation, I can stream pandora, airplay youtube, airplay a downloaded video, airplay a video from the cloud, stream Downcast podcasts, and more just fine with my iPad 4th gen, my iPhone 6S, and my 4-month-old El Cap MacBook Pro. I have incredibly spotty success with Apple Music--no matter which platform--when it's streaming from wherever it exists out there in the interwebs. If I stream downloaded music that is resident on my device, I don't have as many issues, though it's not 100% foolproof (I'd need to do more testing to verify). I spent time with Apple Support on this in Oct 2015, shortly after getting my Apple TV and they were stumped.

The issue magically went away for several months. I've no idea what happened and wasn't paying enough attention to iOS or MacOS updates to trace it to anything there. My equipment didn't change, that's for sure.

Now it's back. And frustrating as ever. I can reset everything and life is good for some random (and annoyingly short) amount of time.

My conclusion is that for whatever reason when Apple Music goes from cable modem to wifi router to iPad (e.g.) to Apple TV, my internal home network gags. My wifi router is a linksys/cisco something or other and it's about three years old. Not latest/greatest for sure, but current enough, and in theory high enough capacity, that I really don't want to go spend money on a new one, but that ultimately looks like the answer as far as I can tell.

AirPlay issues...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.