Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

what happens if my wifi speed(airport) is fast but my initial internet speed is slow?

i am planning to buy an airport express.

i understand that it will increase my LAN network speed but will it also boost my connection to the internet?

Posted on Feb 13, 2016 11:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 16, 2016 6:41 AM

No, the AirPort Express cannot receive a signal and make it go faster. The Express will deliver the Internet speed that your modem provides to it, so the maximum Internet speed that your network delivers will be limited by the plan that you have with your Internet Service Provider.

6 replies

Feb 16, 2016 6:57 PM in response to Mikes1265

Hey Mike,

That can most likely be attributed to a number of things. It all depends on what device you are connecting with, what band you are connecting to and the biggest one, interference. Interference will be your likely cause, especially on the 2.4 GHz band as it is the most crowded. Wired connections are generally faster since they do not suffer from the interference issues that can plague a wireless connection, nor do they have to battle for bandwidth with other wireless devices. Check your router placement for starters to eliminate that. Walls and other electronics can affect your signal. Then check that your device(s) are using the fastest band available. The 5GHz band is faster and less crowded, but has less range and object penetration than the 2.4 GHz band.

Hope this helps you out a little and that it's not too much info!

what happens if my wifi speed(airport) is fast but my initial internet speed is slow?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.