Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Any easy way to mass reimport media after a hard drive crash if library files are intact?

Hello,

I'm running FCPX 10.2.3 on OS X 10.11.3. My external hard drive just crashed, and while I was able to salvage most everything else (including library files, proxy media, etc.), I'm missing about 90% of about 2,000 "original media" files. Because the library files were saved, it looks like my projects seem to be intact, including cuts and edits. Since FCPX knows which files and portions of files were previously imported, reimporting should be easy... except for the fact that there are about 1,800 clips spread across a couple dozen camera archives.

Is there a way to "mass reimport" them based on where it knows the clips came from, without having to scroll through thousands of clips across dozens of archives and manually clicking each one? Because there's also the fact that due to multiple camera archives being used, tthere are multiple "Clip #1", "Clip #2", etc. which FCP resolves by adding a number at the end (e.g., "Clip #1 (fcp1)" and "Clip #1 (fcp2)"). I'm worried that if I import any in the wrong order (maybe I didn't initially import one clip, but went back later and got it), I'll have to comb through to find a needle in a haystack and rename the files manually.

Even if I have to respecify the locations of those couple dozen archives, that would be so much easier than having to manually go into each one and click 1,800 files... Any suggestions?

Please and thank you!

Final Cut Pro X, OS X El Capitan (10.11.3), 2011 Mac Mini, 8GB RAM

Posted on Feb 13, 2016 11:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 14, 2016 8:43 AM

Nevermind. I had assumed the Import>Reimport from Camera wasn't working, but apparently because I had saved the AVCHD archives to my hard drive via Finder instead of "Create Archive" from within Final Cut, it just wasnt seeing them. Creating new archives from those same AVCHD files (or rather the "PRIVATE" folders that initially housed them on the SD card) did the trick and I was able to reimport. Alternately, I could have resaved those PRIVATE folders to the SD cards, and it would have detected those as the original "camera" again, too, and I could've reimported that way... but that could have been tedious.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 14, 2016 8:43 AM in response to ChristianP87

Nevermind. I had assumed the Import>Reimport from Camera wasn't working, but apparently because I had saved the AVCHD archives to my hard drive via Finder instead of "Create Archive" from within Final Cut, it just wasnt seeing them. Creating new archives from those same AVCHD files (or rather the "PRIVATE" folders that initially housed them on the SD card) did the trick and I was able to reimport. Alternately, I could have resaved those PRIVATE folders to the SD cards, and it would have detected those as the original "camera" again, too, and I could've reimported that way... but that could have been tedious.

Any easy way to mass reimport media after a hard drive crash if library files are intact?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.