Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac fuzzy screen won't boot past apple logo - possible to DIY Fix?

HI folks,

i have a mid 2010 i3 3.06 gHz 21.5' iMac standard build running the most recent version of Yosemite. The screen recently started flickering with lines and small blocks when the iMac was switched on. I restarted the mac but it had the same lines and block and went white after the apple logo screen (see image). I tried a safe boot which initially did not work but after a reinstall of Yosemite safe boot did work, and the iMac was okay for another week or so. Now the iMac again won't boot past the apple logo.

I read somewhere this means the software will not boot and it could be the graphics card or video card (truthfully I have no idea). I am going to try fixing it myself because I don't think it would be worth paying a company to fix it.

Any advice?

Cheers,

Rich

User uploaded file

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5), Mid 2010, 3.06gHz

Posted on Feb 14, 2016 12:15 AM

1 reply

Feb 15, 2016 8:59 AM in response to richardfromdorking

Hi Rich,

Thanks for participating in the Apple Support Communities.

It looks like you see video issues on your iMac and it wont start up past the Apple logo. Reinstalling OS X and starting up in safe mode are good troubleshooting steps.

Can you start up to OS X Recovery by holding Command + R when your iMac restarts? See OS X: About OS X Recovery.

You can also try starting up to Apple Hardware Test--OS X Yosemite: Use Apple Diagnostics or Apple Hardware Test.

Sincerely.

iMac fuzzy screen won't boot past apple logo - possible to DIY Fix?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.