Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iPhone 5 would not restore or re boot when connected to usb iTunes it showed the apple logo then the connection symbol only. When I try to restore or update, the responds I receive is 'unknown error (2001). How can I fix this?

My iPhone 5 would not restore or re boot when connected to usb iTunes it showed the apple logo then the connection symbol only. When I try to restore or update, the responds I receive is 'unknown error (2001). How can I fix this?

iPhone 5

Posted on Feb 14, 2016 2:55 AM

1 reply

Feb 15, 2016 11:11 AM in response to Viikandy

Hi there Viikandy,

It sounds like your phone is not restoring due to an unknown error when you connect it to your computer. I would first use the troubleshooting in the following article to help you troubleshoot that:

Resolve iOS update and restore errors in iTunes

If the issue persists, there is more specific troubleshooting for that exact error number in the following article:

Get help with iOS update and restore errors

Check your USB connections

Errors: 13, 14, 1600, 1601, 1602, 1603, 1604, 1611, 1643-1650, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2005, 2006, 2009, 4005, 4013, 4014. You might also see a message that includes "invalid response."

If the USB connection between your device and computer is interrupted, you might not be able to update or restore.

To narrow down the issue, try different equipment:

If you still see the error message, check for hardware issues.

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.