Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IPad 2 Camera

I have just purchased an iPad 2 for my wife, primarily to FaceTime our new Grandchildren and to take photos of them during visits...

However, I have discovered (too late) that the forward facing camera is pretty garbage with regards quality. With that in mind, would an upgrade to iPad 4 show any significant improvement...?

I realise I should have done more in depth research initially, but I honestly thought the camera would have been better...!

ANyone able to help...?

Mac mini, OS X El Capitan (10.11)

Posted on Feb 14, 2016 2:59 AM

4 replies

Feb 14, 2016 5:46 AM in response to Bloosman

It won't be much of an improvement.

Apple chooses to put their best camera technologies into iPhone while the rest of the current Apple iDevice lineup suffers with inferior or lesser camera techniogies.

This year, I purchased both a new iPod Touch 6th generation and a new iPad Pro and I expected both of them to have higher quality front facing cameras for Facetime.

Partly, because it HAS been four years AND because these are all new iDevices with the iPod Touch not having a refresh for nearly 3 years!

I think for the premium price I paid for my iPad Pro, that it should have the same 5 megapixel front facing camera that the iPhone 6 lineup has and the 8 MP rear facing camera with a led flash next to it. Whether I use that camera or not.

Instead, Apple keeps sticking the rest of the iDevice line, and its customers, with the same crummy, low tech, low res 1.2 MP front facing camera that had been introduced four years, ago, with the introduction of the iPad 3.

So, unless you plan on purchasing an iPhone, no matter what other iDevice you purchase, old or new, the front facing camera will only be marginally better with only 1.2 MP (why Apple didn't, at least, double the camera quality to 2.4 or 2.5 MP over the years, just boggles).

IPad 2 Camera

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.