Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

horizontal stripes shown on start up window, can't boot into Mac OS or Bootcamp Windows

My Macbook Pro suddenly shows horizontal stripes on the start up window:

User uploaded file

If I choose to boot into Mac OSX the screen will freeze as shown below, and after quite a while the screen will show nothing but the horizontal stripes...

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

If I choose to boot into bootcamp windows, vertical stripes will show up and after a while the screen will go completely black:

User uploaded file

May I have your advice what is going on over here and how to fix it?

My MBP is relatively old (6years) and it's running perfectly all the time until yesterday this problem suddenly come up and I can't boot into any of the two OS to retrieve my files...

Urgent help is needed here...!!!

Thank you very much!

iMac (21.5-inch Late 2009), OS X Mavericks (10.9.4), null

Posted on Feb 14, 2016 5:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 15, 2016 12:46 PM

Hello there oat cracker,

It sounds like this graphical issue just suddenly appeared and affects both your Mac and Windows partitions. I would first boot to safe mode to see if that resolves the issue:

Follow these steps to start up into safe mode.

1. Start or restart your Mac.
  2. Immediately after you hear the startup sound, press and hold the Shift key.
  3. Release the Shift key when you see the Apple logo appear on the screen.

After the Apple logo appears, it might take longer than usual to reach the login screen or your desktop. This is because your Mac performs a directory check of your startup disk as part of safe mode.

To leave safe mode, restart your computer without pressing any keys during startup.

From: Try safe mode if your Mac doesn‘t finish starting up

Then leave safe mode and see if it comes back. If it does then reset the PRAM on your computer:

How to Reset NVRAM on your Mac

After you reset the PRAM test out the computer and see if you still get these lines. If so then I would next suggest resetting your SMC:

Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 15, 2016 12:46 PM in response to oatcracker

Hello there oat cracker,

It sounds like this graphical issue just suddenly appeared and affects both your Mac and Windows partitions. I would first boot to safe mode to see if that resolves the issue:

Follow these steps to start up into safe mode.

1. Start or restart your Mac.
  2. Immediately after you hear the startup sound, press and hold the Shift key.
  3. Release the Shift key when you see the Apple logo appear on the screen.

After the Apple logo appears, it might take longer than usual to reach the login screen or your desktop. This is because your Mac performs a directory check of your startup disk as part of safe mode.

To leave safe mode, restart your computer without pressing any keys during startup.

From: Try safe mode if your Mac doesn‘t finish starting up

Then leave safe mode and see if it comes back. If it does then reset the PRAM on your computer:

How to Reset NVRAM on your Mac

After you reset the PRAM test out the computer and see if you still get these lines. If so then I would next suggest resetting your SMC:

Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

horizontal stripes shown on start up window, can't boot into Mac OS or Bootcamp Windows

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.