Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My fans are spinning on full speed without any reason

My iMac has had this problem for quit a while now, and I tried multiple things but nothing worked. I don't have any viruses or something and its not like my processors and stuff are fully used or something. I have tried reseting my SMC but this didn't solve the problem. I tried looking trough the fans with a light to see if dust is causing this, but I didn't see any dust and I don't think this is the problem. And I can't really afford it to bring my mac to the mac store and let them find the problem. I'am kinda clueless right now.

I hope you guys might now a solution for this.

iMac (21.5-inch, medio 2011)

2,5 GHz Intel Core i5

8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3

AMD Radeon HD 6750M 512 MB

C0*******HJF

<Personal Information Edited by Host>

iMac, OS X El Capitan (10.11.3), null

Posted on Feb 14, 2016 4:10 AM

30 replies

Feb 14, 2016 4:59 AM in response to Lucasvb

Reset the SMC again. Do it 2-3 times and follow the instructions to the letter. Unplug from the back of the iMac not the wall.

1. Shut down the computer.
  2. Unplug the power cord from the back of the iMac.
  3. Wait fifteen seconds.
  4. Attach the power cord.
  5. Wait five seconds, then press the power button to turn on the computer.

Feb 14, 2016 6:56 AM in response to Lucasvb

Your iMac shipped with Snow Leopard on a gray two dvd install set. If you don't have those discs you have a couple options.

1. Order a replacement set of original install discs from Apple.

2. See if you can find the correct version of AHT here https://github.com/upekkha/AppleHardwareTest

3. Try this trick to run AHT without a disc. I have not tried it so I can't confirm that it works.

How to run AHT w/o the system discs

1) SHUT DOWN the computer (Don't RESTART... shut it down)

2) Hold down the OPTION + D keys

3) Press the Power Button (make sure to hold down the OPTION + D keys first)

4) Continue to hold down the OPTION + D keys until the system enters AHT mode

5) Let the app verify the hardware setup before initiating the test.

6) There are two testing modes. To select the "Extended Test" activate the check box below the Test button.

My fans are spinning on full speed without any reason

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.